Convert 40:1 mix into 32:1 mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much oil would I need to add to a pre-mixed quart of 40:1 or 50:1 for that matter, to make a 32:1?

I want to use a quart of trufuel in a lawnboy at 32:1 for the heck of it, how much oil do I add?

For a quart? It's pretty small...32:1 is 1 oz of oil in 32 oz of gasoline...for the 40:1, you've got 0.80 oz of oil in 32 oz of gasoline, so you would add 0.2 oz of oil...for the 50:1, you've got .64 oz, so you would add .36 oz...good luck measuring that...half of the add will stick to the sides of the container...

32:1=4oz:1g, 40:1=3oz:1g, 50:1=2.5oz:1g
32:1=1oz:1qt, 40:1=0.75oz:1qt, 50:1=0.625oz:1qt
1 tablespoon= 0.5oz

so 1/2 tablespoon to make a 40:1 quart 32:1.

My 2 cycle equipment is 1 place where I haven't had any ethanol related carb. problems. I run a 32:1 mix using either Maxima Caster 927 or Motul 5100. I like the 927 better for the smell. I adjust the carbs on everything to run 32:1 because that is what I run in my CR250R, and my Blaster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Thee days with high quality synthetic 2 cycle oil, I wonder whether you can just run everything on 50:1.

I read an article awhile back where a manufacturer tested different mixed for power output. I do no remember who did the test now, (it may have been Pro-Circuit, not sure though)but they got the most power with 16:1 I think it may help the rings seal better.

Thee days with high quality synthetic 2 cycle oil, I wonder whether you can just run everything on 50:1.

Supposedly you can run everything on 40:1 nowadays. But some are afraid to take that advice.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Supposedly you can run everything on 40:1 nowadays. But some are afraid to take that advice.

I think that is true if you use a good quality oil and tune the carb for the mix. Some oils advertise using them at 100:1.

A Lawnboy, can easily run 40:1 or leaner. 32:1 will add to carbon fouling that they are famous for

I go leaner (Amsoil 100:1 instead of 40:1) on the oil but I stay away from ethanol blended fuels. I can but the $8 a quart stuff at the mower shop but instead I go to the Marina and get a whole gallon of 90 octane for $4.30. Do away with the ethanol in a 2 stroke and avoid a bunch of problems. Marinas are about the only place in Ohio where you can get pure gas.

Bah, I just dump in 1/2oz or so in the weed eater gas tank then add gas and shake it... If it doesn't smoke, I add more oil...

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you only need to get rid of a quart. That's maybe 5 hours? I've always run my LBs on a 42:1 mix. It's an odd ratio but it's an easy mix (3oz/gal) and it means I only need one can for the mower and trimmer.

Thanks for all the replies, I have heard of people running with leaner oil ratios in their 'boys, but weren't there certain engines that needed the 32:1 specifically due to the type of bearings used?

I have a duraforce 6.5 model, so this probably does not apply? Which kind needed the 32:1? the bricks? the 80's models??

Originally Posted By: AVB
32:1=4oz:1g, 40:1=3oz:1g, 50:1=2.5oz:1g
32:1=1oz:1qt, 40:1=0.75oz:1qt, 50:1=0.625oz:1qt
1 tablespoon= 0.5oz

so 1/2 tablespoon to make a 40:1 quart 32:1.

My 2 cycle equipment is 1 place where I haven't had any ethanol related carb. problems. I run a 32:1 mix using either Maxima Caster 927 or Motul 5100. I like the 927 better for the smell. I adjust the carbs on everything to run 32:1 because that is what I run in my CR250R, and my Blaster.

Can you tell the difference between 40 and 32 to 1 for a small engine? I guess I've got a old stihl FS85 weed wacker that seems to be incredibley sensitive to air temps and tiny high speed jet adjustments(goes from loading up to silly high rpms with like an 1/8 of a turn) so maybe it would drop a 100rpms WO with 40:1 from 32:1, but my lawnboy sure doesn't care...

My craftsman weed eater would bog bad with 32:1 until I adjusted the carb. I just like the convenience of running the same mix in everything, since I keep a jug of premix on hand for my dirt bike. I have had gotten good service out of my bike and four wheeler with 32:1, lots of hrs. and abuse between rebuilds.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Thanks for all the replies, I have heard of people running with leaner oil ratios in their 'boys, but weren't there certain engines that needed the 32:1 specifically due to the type of bearings used?

I have a duraforce 6.5 model, so this probably does not apply? Which kind needed the 32:1? the bricks? the 80's models??

I have read that engines with bushings need more oil than engines with roller bearings, it make sense to me but I have no personal experience with that issue.

In NY about the only place you can find pure gas is at marinas in Ohio.

That made me chuckle, so so true.

I have read that engines with bushings need more oil than engines with roller bearings, it make sense to me but I have no personal experience with that issue.

That sounds correct, it was something to that tune. The older lawnboys must have been bushing engines that couldn't survive with less oil...

That sounds correct, it was something to that tune. The older lawnboys must have been bushing engines that couldn't survive with less oil...

Really a bushing? That would be a really [censored] bearing. There are needle, ball and roller bearing, never heard of a bushing in an OPE engine, but never had a Lawnboy. If they have bushings, then I never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back