What is the best motor oil for me???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7 liter V8 engine with 150,000 miles on her and I was wondering if you could recommend a motor oil for me? I drive mostly residential but recently I have been putting my foot in it whenever I can since I added a Dual cone cold air intake.( I like the way the engine sounds) I will be changing the exhaust soon.

I would consider one of the excellent High Mileage oils on the market such as Valvoline MaxLife, QS Defy or Mobil 1 High Mileage. All of these can be found at WM.

Originally Posted By: buster
I would consider one of the excellent High Mileage oils on the market such as Valvoline MaxLife, QS Defy or Mobil 1 High Mileage. All of these can be found at WM.

+1

Originally Posted By: buster

this

Why is there a recommendations for HM oil? OP is your engine consuming oil or leaking from some where? If not use a name brand oil you like.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Why is there a recommendations for HM oil? OP is your engine consuming oil or leaking from some where? If not use a name brand oil you like.

That's my question. I've never used HM oil in any vehicle I've had, then again, I don't have any leaks.

Do you mean that your driving consists mostly of short trips? How often do you (want to) change your oil? What condition is the engine in? Does it leak or burn oil?

Originally Posted By: MGUMBY64
Hello everyone, I drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7 liter V8 engine with 150,000 miles on her and I was wondering if you could recommend a motor oil for me? I drive mostly residential but recently I have been putting my foot in it whenever I can since I added a Dual cone cold air intake.( I like the way the engine sounds) I will be changing the exhaust soon.

I think I would go with a top shelf full synthetic. PP is a fav on here and is a little cheaper than M1. My thinkin on that is a high milage engine may have good life left in it but you need the very best in protection so you can add another 150k on the clock. That is if you plan on keeping it. If you have plans to sell or trade up, any top name brand dino would work great. Reguardless of oil choice, always use quality oil filters. Enjoy your ride!

Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
Originally Posted By: MGUMBY64

I think I would go with a top shelf full synthetic. PP is a fav on here and is a little cheaper than M1. My thinkin on that is a high milage engine may have good life left in it but you need the very best in protection so you can add another 150k on the clock. That is if you plan on keeping it. If you have plans to sell or trade up, any top name brand dino would work great. Reguardless of oil choice, always use quality oil filters. Enjoy your ride!

Define "protection". Does synthetic based oil provide superior slipperiness than conventional? How does synthetic based oils provide best protection? By producing less wear in non-extended drains? How does synthetic provide superior protection in a non DI non-turbo engine?

I am sorry but once I read someone suggest to someone that the only way you can achieve another 150K of engine life is to use synthetic oil, you sound like a shady tree mechanic or a iffy lube technician trying to up sell a lube. There is no evidence that using a synthetic PCMO provides superior wear protection at factory recommended oil change recommendations in applications that synthetic lubricants are not required or recommended. Quite frankly the Jeep is 13 years old, the sad fact is that the engine could use just about any API certified lubricant and make it another 150K but the transmission, differentials, body, and other parts will probably give out before the engine does. If the cooling, PCV, electrical, and fuel systems are maintained correctly I may have grand children that have children before the engine tires out in this Jeep. But rust or another vehicle is likely to send the Jeep to junkyard before then.

OP how long have you had the Jeep? What oil did you use before?

Why is there a recommendations for HM oil?

Because the truck has 150k miles on it. I had 150k on my Camaro before trying M1 HM. I put in the HM oil to get the higher anti-wear content of the SL-spec formula, but saw a 25% decrease in oil consumption as well. So even though I had no complaints about leaks or oil consumption, I got an unexpected benefit from HM oil.

You don't have to use a HM oil in a high mileage vehicle necessarily. HM oils are usually a bit more robust overall and contain added seal conditioners that may or may not help your engine. It really depends. Can't hurt though.

I don't think anyone has ever damaged an engine by using a better oil than it required to operate properly. Stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day, or starting on a winter night when it's 15 below, it's nice to have a little cushion. If you change yourself you can save enough to break even. I like Rotella T6 5w40. A benefit, as others have seen with synthetics, is lower oil consumption in high miles engines because synthetic tends not to shear down to a thinner VI with use. I first noticed that in my Briggs L head splash lube genset. Switched to synthetic and noticed a a reduction right away.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't think anyone has ever damaged an engine by using a better oil than it required to operate properly.

Sure it is fine, nobody disputes that, but some comments make it seem like dino is only for beaters and cars nobody cares about and synthetic if for those who want to keep their car for a long time and care about maintenance, which is simply not true.
It is one more example that people will invent benefits just to justify their choice.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day, or starting on a winter night when it's 15 below, it's nice to have a little cushion.

Yeah because on a liquid cooled engine is hotter at 95 degrees at ambient temperature versus 75.

Yeah because on a liquid cooled engine is hotter at 95 degrees at ambient temperature versus 75.

It's possible for the engine oil to be warmer under certain conditions when it's hot outside, but IMO sitting in traffic is not one of them. I would rather track or drag race on a 75* day than a 95* day though.

The aforementioned "getting another 150K by using syn" is funny. I would just do moderate change intervals on conventional and call it a day.

No where did I say that he had to run synthetic motor oil to get another 150k out of his vehicle. I only recomended synthetic because..it is better. Tell me, why isnt it recomended to run synthetic during the break in of a new motor? Because synthetic offers maximum protection! I do not care what you say, synthetic is a superior product to dino, and no, I am not a shade tree mechanic.

Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
Tell me, why isnt it recomended to run synthetic during the break in of a new motor? Because synthetic offers maximum protection! I do not care what you say, synthetic is a superior product to dino, and no, I am not a shade tree mechanic.

Many cars including all Caddy's, Corvette's, etc come with syn (M1, IIRC) as a factory fill.

Your thinking of "maximum protection" insinuates that conventional does not protect as well, and the reality of it is that if both meet the engines spec, then they will protect equally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back