How often should you replace brake hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told the average life of brake hoses is only 6yrs. Im still on stock and well over 6yrs so wondering if replacing brake hoses wouldnt be a bad thing to replace due to the age? If so, then id just go with stainless steel ones.

And how big of a job is this to do?

Brake lines are normally steel. Brake hoses are rubber with metal ends.
The rubber allows the hoses to flex with the suspension system. I don't think there is a change interval on hoses. Maybe a brake hose MFGr might have a change interval.

The brake lines are only replaced if rusted out. Changing hoses is not really hard. But you usually need the copper washers for disc calipers.

The designed in life is around 6-8 years, once put into service. Then again, I've had some last decades. Mileage,time, maintenance, and driving style are contributing factors.
I've converted my 62 Buick to braided stainless hoses, mostly because I wanted to eliminate as many potential failures as possible on a single-system car.

Replace them when they become soft, spongy, or have large cracks. Back in the mid 1980s I saw cars from the 1950s that looked like they still had their original brake hoses. They were very cracked, but didn't leak.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
If so, then id just go with stainless steel ones.

LOL, good luck with that, the first time you go to turn your steering wheel. they're rubber (flexible) for a reason

Last edited:
If you're going with braided stainless make sure you get DOT ones. Also "they" say the braiding abrades something faster so you want to change THOSE quite often.

My 20 year old clunkers do pretty good with original hoses. They put a little more anti-rubber-oxidant in them than tires, and they're engineered with a decent amount of idiot proofness.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
If so, then id just go with stainless steel ones.

LOL, good luck with that, the first time you go to turn your steering wheel. they're rubber (flexible) for a reason

But some people are upgrading their rubber hoses to stainless steel.

But after reading this, ill check my hoses conditions again and if not needing replacement i wont bother replacing them.

I just got worried thinking i could be a safety hazard with old brake hoses.

Last edited:
If the brakes get really spongy despite bleeding, replace them then. I did on my old car, and the pedal became noticeably firmer.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If the brakes get really spongy despite bleeding, replace them then. I did on my old car, and the pedal became noticeably firmer.

Braking is fine but with car off and parked, i pump the brake 4 or 5 times and it doesnt get stiffer each time. Normally i pump it 4 times and by then the brake will be super stiff that i can barely press it. Now it has some give, it gets a bit stiffer after each pump but not as stiff as before. Id say right now, brake pedal probably moves about 20-25% in with car off and parked.

^ you are talking about the vacuum assist not the hydraulic firmness. And normal.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ you are talking about the vacuum assist not the hydraulic firmness. And normal.

Oh ok. But what would cause my vacuum assist to cause that?

Six years is really short. I've never heard anything like that before. I'd probably start inspecting them a little closer at around twenty!

Have a quick look at them whenever you remove the wheels. Like the other rubber stuff - tires, belts, hoses - service life will depend on your climate and operating conditions. I regularly inspect all those items for visible deterioration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back