Honda Elite 80cc Scooter....need

Status
Not open for further replies.
....instructions on how to change the oil, plug etc.

Please be detailed, as I'm not very mechanically inclined. What oil should I use, what plug.....and any websites that would be helpful. Also...what battery does it need....and is the battery available at WalMart?

The scooter hasn't been used for two years....and I'm wanting to sell it.

Thanks... and I appreciate any help you can provide.

The battery will have its model number printed on it and more importantly the amp hourage. I'm sure WM would let you compare it to ones on the shelf if they don't have a catalog for scooters. Just make sure the positive/negative terminals aren't reversed; makes it hard to get the cables to reach.

Don't screw the dipstick in to check the level, just insert it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJoYpomix58

EDIT: Further research shows that unlike the other Elite's the 80's plug is on the side of the engine rather than under it. There's a plug like looking bolt on the underside that is actually the cam chain tensioner so don't remove that one for the oil change.

CH80_oil_drain_bolt.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 2006 Elite 80. I used Mobil 1 4T in it as these are HIGH rev. engines.

The dipstick/filler is on the right side as I recall. Drain plug is on the left. You will need an Allen key but the type that can be mounted to a ratchet (like a socket). It takes right at a qt. of oil. I never did the spark plug so I cannot help there but if I recall it is rather simple. I had the service manual but sold it with the scooter.

It is tough to drain the rear gear box (final drive) as part of the casting for the CVT cover hangs over the bolt. I’d leave it as it is allot of work and if you remove the cover you will almost certainly have to replace the gasket. It is only there to seal the CVT mechanism from dust and moisture but it is important and always tears…

Great little scooter! I routinely got 105 to 110 MPG out of it. Current owner is a friend of mine and gets around 97 MPG; he weighs a bit more than I. Kinda scary in traffic even on back roads and everyone around here drives like a maniac so I found myself riding it less and less. Great for running around town however and neat little motor. OHC and just 80cc. It was like riding a Rolex around.

One other problem you may encounter is that, besides being very cold natured and tough to start after sitting, these engines HATE the ethanol in today’s fuels. You may find it very tough to start. A good carb cleanout is almost always in order if it sits. Most Honda powersport dealers will work on them and prices are reasonable I have found. You might call one near you and see what they would charge to tune it up. As much as I prefer to do that stuff myself I recall it being cheap to have the carb cleaned and jetted and can’t imagine an oil change or plug would cost much more. Just an option…

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I went on YouTube and it had several videos on how to change the oil. Seems very simple.

I will check WM, to see if they carry the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back