Which way does Copper gasket go on Nissan plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Are these the buggers?...found by googling:
!C!ryp(!Bmk~$(KGrHqZ,!hoEzeOOJuyOBNEE5kCY1Q~~_12.JPG
http://www.micrak12.com/oil.htm
5.png

Drainplugoldandnew.jpg

Does that red one have two washers on it?

a long time ago i was seeing how fast i could get the old 392 chrysler hemi go. i got my hands on a 1957 chrysler factory services manual. it showed to remove the spark plug gasket when putting new plugs in, cause the tube took up the place.

Originally Posted By: morris
a long time ago i was seeing how fast i could get the old 392 chrysler hemi go. i got my hands on a 1957 chrysler factory services manual. it showed to remove the spark plug gasket when putting new plugs in, cause the tube took up the place.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Does not really matter. The "curved" side is just from the washer being formed when manufactured. Either side has enough surface area to prevent leaks if torqued properly.

FWIW and not based on any detriment if you do otherwise, I usually put the flat side against the pan and the rounded/curved side against the head of the bolt.

+1
Here is a diagram of what the stamping process does to the edges of the material.

402732006.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Interesting. Disregard everything I said as I thought it was just a regular crush washer..

I have never seen such a setup until now.

+2

So I just realized my Altima should be using these. I've been re-using a nylon washer that I guess the previous owner had put on somewhere. When I first saw the washer, I too was confused about which direction it goes. The crush washers I've ever dealt with have always been flat.

I looked in the Altima FSM, but couldn't find any info. Did some searching and came across this thread and some others. Finally found the answer in the 370Z FSM. Look at the top left. The notch goes towards the drain plug.

I think I understand why. The crush washer sort of threads onto the drain plug. Once it's threaded down, the bigger end is free to compress down when the drain plug is tightened against the oil pan. If the washer is installed the opposite way, the small end will be forced over the drain plug threads as it crushes down. This could damage the threads. Check out the video that illustrates how the washer threads onto the drain plug.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back