Oil Filters Alternative Kawasaki 24hp v-twin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back again.

Kawasaki 49065-7007 not readily available in my area. It cross-references to a Wix 57035. This is a tiny filter and is $10.79 plus tax at the local parts store.

I searched out on this forum and on the oil filter forum for posts within the last year and came up empty.

I understand that Wix is an excellent filter but is it $10.79 + tax worth excellent?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin

I use the Fram PH4967 equivalent on my Dad's 26hp Kawasaki twin in either Purolator Classic or Wix. It's the same filter as many older Toyota's.

I have a water cooled Kawasaki engine on my lawn mower. I use a filter specified for a 1991 Geo Prizm. There are two different filters available but I get the biggest one.

I've done this since about 1993 and the 'ol John Deere is still purring right along.

Kawasaki 3/4" X 16 threads Gasket 2.475"OD 2.173"ID 0.233" thick.
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Baldwin AC MotorCraft JD Walmart
2.98" 51394 L14476 LF410 B33 PF1233 FL836 AM107423 ST4967
3.4" 51396 L14477 LF413 B37 NA NA NA ST4386

On my dealers recommendation, I have been using the John Deere equivalent. Sorry I don't have the numbers handy. They run $4.99 at the dealer, made in USA (just an observation). I'm still under warranty. He indicated he could get the Kawi filter at twice the price.

I ran into this on a 19HP Kawi-powered John Deere Gator...that's most likely the reason the local JD dealer had a filter in stock.

However, I found that the 3600-series filters (the standard Briggs/Kohler filters) will screw right onto the Kawi in my Gator...they are physically larger in diameter, but the mounting boss flange catches the entire filter gasket. I found the only interference was with the fancy little filter "funnel" that is bolted to the engine...it touches the filter, but just so. It would be easy to remove.

If you have the room, take a look at the 3600 series...it adds a lot of filter compared to the OE Kawi.

Sorry for the late reply, I just read your post. A Mann ML-1009 or a Bosch 3311 filter will also work. I have used both on my Kawasaki powered Deere. They run about $5.00 at auto parts stores. Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted By: JetStar
On my dealers recommendation, I have been using the John Deere equivalent. Sorry I don't have the numbers handy. They run $4.99 at the dealer, made in USA (just an observation). I'm still under warranty. He indicated he could get the Kawi filter at twice the price.

jd# AM107423

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I use the Fram PH4967 equivalent on my Dad's 26hp Kawasaki twin in either Purolator Classic or Wix. It's the same filter as many older Toyota's.

Back in the 1990's, my family had a 1992 model year John Deere GT262 riding mower with a 17hp Kawasaki single. I know we used to run the Fram equivalent (pre BITOG days obviously) which may have been the PH4967. I don't recall the p/n. Anyway, that baby was used year-round and had a ton of hours on it when we sold it (no hour meter). Ran and looked like new. That engine purred. All that was used in it is automotive 10w30.

Joel

Last edited:
FWIW, I use a Motorcraft or Fram filters that fit the threads on the oil filter nipple. My mower has a 20hp B&S, I've done it for 3 years and no problems. Couldn't see the use/need/logic of a tiny oil filter that cost $10+ vs. a filter designed to protect an engine worth many times the cost of the mower for $5.

what about a car ?

those 10dollar filters are worth every penny in my eyes whether it be a $1,500 to $10,000+ lawnmower or a 70,000 sports car.

Just buy from some place in bulk and the cost of those oil filters will be a good bit less. It's the connections at a parts store or how nice you are to them that is the factor in how they will strike you a deal or not.

For instance, buying in bulk at a Sam's Wholesale or costco is cheaper in the long run than going to walmart or any grocery store.

--Bulk-- and the cost will might save your a couple of bucks if you want to save a dime.

btw fram filters just plain suck. Buy Wix and don't look back. Good filters for the money and not too fancy and not too cheap/lousy of a filter like Fram.

just my 2cents

Originally Posted By: 2cool
FWIW, I use a Motorcraft or Fram filters that fit the threads on the oil filter nipple. My mower has a 20hp B&S, I've done it for 3 years and no problems. Couldn't see the use/need/logic of a tiny oil filter that cost $10+ vs. a filter designed to protect an engine worth many times the cost of the mower for $5.

On Kohler Command horizontal shaft V-twins, there's several equivalents to the (giant) PH8A that will fit and not overlap the filter base! You increase your oil holding capacity by about half a quart+ by using it.

Joel

3600 series filters triple the capacity if you have room.

I have a QS branded QS3600 purolator now and a SuperTech ST3600 for next time. Both under $3.

$13 for little black Briggs filter is hard to swallow.

f528a525.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
3600 series filters triple the capacity if you have room.

I have a QS branded QS3600 purolator now and a SuperTech ST3600 for next time. Both under $3.

$13 for little black Briggs filter is hard to swallow.

I use a 3600 series also in my B&S. I agree, if you got the room, use one of these filters and be done with it. Nothing special about the short mower filters other than costing more.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
Originally Posted By: JetStar

jd# AM107423

The JD filters are a great option, that's what I'm running on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back