hydrostatic drive on riding mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know how the hydrostatic drive works on my Bobcat (a large hydraulic pump, with lines and valves going to 2 hydraulic drive motors.)

But its not that sophisticated on a riding mower. Or maybe thats the general idea but its all in one unit called a hydrostatic transmission.

If someone can give me a high level explanation, that would help.

Donald, it's exactly the same concept as on your Bobcat, but integrated into one transaxle unit.

The variable displacement pump and fixed displacement motor are manifolded/ported together as opposed to using hoses to connect them, and the motor drives the differential in the transaxle housing. The differential housing also acts as the oil reservoir.

here's a good exploded view of the one in my snowblower.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Snow%20Blower/0/HS928%20TA%20SNOW%20BLOWER%2C%20JPN/HYDROSTATIC%20TRANSMISSION/parts.html

if the link doesn't work, navigate from boats.net into oem repair honda - snowblower - all years - hs928ta - hydrostatic

Originally Posted By: Donald
I know how the hydrostatic drive works on my Bobcat (a large hydraulic pump, with lines and valves going to 2 hydraulic drive motors.)

But its not that sophisticated on a riding mower. Or maybe thats the general idea but its all in one unit called a hydrostatic transmission.

If someone can give me a high level explanation, that would help.

Pumps and wheel motors (as described in your first sentence) is what youll find on true commercial zturns when you are willing to spend at least 5,500 on a new z. All this other stuff is just hydrostats or final drives. Yet another example of getting what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape

Pumps and wheel motors (as described in your first sentence) is what youll find on true commercial zturns when you are willing to spend at least 5,500 on a new z. All this other stuff is just hydrostats or final drives. Yet another example of getting what you pay for.

There's high dollar, commercial grade "final drives" as well. The Tufftorq K92 is just one example of a transaxle that's mounted on ~$13K mowers.

K-92-angle.jpg

There's commercial grade zero turn integrated drives as well. One by one, they're going this way now.. Hydro-gear ZT-5400:

ZT-5400.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
that tufftorque k92 does look beefy, and i was thinking in terms of z-turns. i have had some john deere garden tractors with tuff torques with goodluck. but now days i usually only buy zturns that are scag turf tigers. and all the turf tigers ive seen have pumps and wheel motors, not this intigrated stuff shown in your lower pic, there again, i havent bought a mower since 08, but i have yet to see the turf tiger go cheap yet, wich is a big reason that i buy them

I just bought a new Craftsman 42" with hydrostatic drive. What's the story on oil for this trans?

Originally Posted By: tig1
I just bought a new Craftsman 42" with hydrostatic drive. What's the story on oil for this trans?

Owners manual?

^^^If you didn't get a manual you can go to the tuff torq site and they are very helpful.

My 54 inch Craftsman uses 15w-50 motor oil in the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back