How can you tell if you have a sludge problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an 03 330XI and from the maintenance records it looks like all the oil changes were done at the BMW dealer with the BMW HP 5W-30 synthetic oil right at pretty much the 10K to 12K interval. Although for the first 20K the oil was changed every 5K, then every 10-12K after that.

Car now has about 115k, and I was wondering if there is way to tell if there is a sludge problem in the engine, since I have read that a lot of people who have used the BMW HP Synthetic have had mild to severe sludge problems with that oil when run at the recomended BMW oil change intervals.

I did look under the oil cap by the way, and it looks very clean, almost new like, which made me wonder if the oil cap was changed at some point in the recent past.

I'm not looking to change the valve cover gasket or open the engine, just was wondering if there's any other way to identify a sludge problem in your engine.

Also if there is sludge problem present is the Mobil-1 0W-40 the oil with the most amount of detergents in it's add pack between the oils that are recomended/certified for this car.

thanks.

backer-sludge.jpg

If you cant see the valve train through the filler hole you need to either get an inspection camera into an opening in the valve cover if one exist for PCV, breather, etc or remove the valve cover to get a look.
IMO its worth the time and effort on an unknown engine to know where you stand and determine which direction you want to go with the car.

Fiber Optic Camera

M1 0W40 is an excellent oil and will work well. If you have a sludge problem it will likely darken quickly. You can also sut open the filter to see if you see any signs of sludge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hessam
I'm not looking to change the valve cover gasket or open the engine, just was wondering if there's any other way to identify a sludge problem in your engine.

The only sure way is to remove one of the valve covers.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
backer-sludge.jpg

ok its killing me, this is from a horror movie i just cant place it..

Is that from Creepshow?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Pull the valve cover and take pictures. Probably is ready for a new valve cover gasket anyway.

ok will do.... going to local dealer to pick up an extra key and some filters, other than a new valve cover gasket is there any other parts/tools I need to pull/replace the valve cover gasket?

I will be changing the oil this weekend with M1 0W-40 , so I will try and cut open the old oil filter to see if I can tell anything from that.

thanks

I really doubt it has any problems, other than the classic red staining from BMW oil.

Mine was changed every 15,000 miles right from the beginning and it doing fine at 155,000 now. No consumption, so sludge. Just some crusty buildup and staining, but nothing to cry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back