90% of engine wear occurs at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all the wear is on start up, why is it you see the cars that are driven fast and hard smoking? I propose that using the engine causes wear. I propose that a higher wear rate is experienced at start up, but the highest wear is caused by the hard driving. It seems wasteful to me to agonize over something you cannot avoid, starting the engine, when you can do something about the excessively hard and fast driving that really causes the wear. I have yet to see the easily driven car smoking like the hard driven cars do. I have yet to see a car smoking from being started up, unless it was started without oil.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
If all the wear is on start up, why is it you see the cars that are driven fast and hard smoking? I propose that using the engine causes wear. I propose that a higher wear rate is experienced at start up, but the highest wear is caused by the hard driving. It seems wasteful to me to agonize over something you cannot avoid, starting the engine, when you can do something about the excessively hard and fast driving that really causes the wear. I have yet to see the easily driven car smoking like the hard driven cars do. I have yet to see a car smoking from being started up, unless it was started without oil.

Some of the longest lasting engines I've seen are in taxi and LEO use, as well as those old 5.0L 302's from the Mustang that were beaten on like red-headed step children.

Running an engine hard is not the same thing as abusing an engine. Some of the cleanest, healthiest engines I've had apart were driven HARD. But they were run on good oil and weren't beat on until they were up to temp. Firing up an engine stone cold and thrashing it is abusing an engine. But so it never letting it get to operating temperature, never changing the oil, never checking the oil.....etc.

I still say all of that *startup wear-must use a water thin oil,because most of the wear happens when you start your car-mumbo jumbo* is all government CAFE controlled marketing propaganda. In other words,b.s.

Abuse and not maintaining is what wears out an engine.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Some of the longest lasting engines I've seen are in taxi and LEO use, as well as those old 5.0L 302's from the Mustang that were beaten on like red-headed step children.

Running an engine hard is not the same thing as abusing an engine. Some of the cleanest, healthiest engines I've had apart were driven HARD. But they were run on good oil and weren't beat on until they were up to temp. Firing up an engine stone cold and thrashing it is abusing an engine. But so it never letting it get to operating temperature, never changing the oil, never checking the oil.....etc.

THIS!

Times a million. I've seen many oil burners that were simply driven too easy during break in, driving a modern computer controlled engine HARD is what the engine is designed and tested for.

Quote:
I've heard this saying:

"Twice as much engine wear occurs during engine startup"

Does it mean 90%, I dont know? [I dont know]

"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical."

Yogi Berra.

take two new cars, tear down measure and weigh the high wear parts, reassemble. one of them gets driven normally with starts, hours, and engine info recorded. The other is started the same amt of times as the other, say 3 times per day and shut down after 20 sec. Then after x amt time, tear down and measure/weigh again.

Then do it for as many different manuf and engine types as possible.

Isn't the (?) Sequence 4 cam test essentially proof of "start-up" wear, purposely holding coolant and oil temperatures down where the additives aren't yet working ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back