E10 in a 52 8N Ford Tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of any ill effects of burning E10 in an old Ford 8N tractor? Personally i don't think it will cause any harm. Didn't know if any of you guys may know otherwise. Thanks!
21.gif

Don't have a clue myself (I'm feeling more clueless than usual), but seemingly reputable info from four websites can be found by Googling "hagerty fiberglass" "stratifying yamaha usa" "antique arco ethanol" and "Evinrude broin hooch". Not sure if one can post links here, so instead I use my patented Google whack-a-mole method.

E10 is going to be more corrosive.
Consider coating the brass float with Seal-All, from HD or Lowes, which is resistant to ethanol and gasoline to protect the float.

I started using E10 in the boat generator and the steel float bowl rusted and the float developed MANY tiny pinholes. When I looked closely at the float with a magnifier, I could see the surface beginning to pit all over. Sealing float and float bowl with Seal-All has sealed it.

A good friend of mine has an 8N Ford tractor and has to use E10 because that is what is available. He puts a few ounces of MMO in the gas every time he fills the tank and hasn't had fuel related problems. I use MMO in the gas of my old Studebakers here in the LA area as we have had to use E10 for years. So far I haven't had carburetor problems due to the ethanol, though there are stories of gas tank, fuel pump, neoprene hose and carburetor problems related to the use of E10. Keep in minnd that the E10 gas does not have the shelf life of standard gasoline. The E10 will start to seperate somewhere around 45 to 90 days sending the alcohol and water to the bottom of the fuel tank.

I have 4 N series tractors, two of which are show tractors and sit much of the year with E-10 in them. You most definitely don't need to coat the carb float with anything.

I always use Stabil in the fuel, and have never had a fuel related issue with any of them. Some of the fuel in the trailer queens is easily a year old, and both of them will fire up and run like new. My work tractors have no issues whatsoever on E-10.

In short, just like any other fuel, if you keep Stabil in it you are fine. If you use the tractor frequently and are constantly refreshing the fuel you can eliminate the Stabil. I keep Stabil in all of my fuel, because I never know when I'll be storing something with fuel in it.

If you use it all the time I wouldn't worry about it. What's the worst that could happen, you have to spend 30 minutes rebuilding the carb. My 601 doesn't get too much run time these days on my 1/3 acre so I took off the stock tank and put a small, maybe gallon and a half, one off an old Sears tractor. Now I can keep it full of E0 and the gas isn't evaporated out every time I go to run it for a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. The fuel does get turned over on a regular basis. I was kinda thinking of possible internal damage to the old valves and internals as they were not designed for any ethanol fuels. I burn mostly premium in it or 93 octane that may or may not contain ethanol. No problems so far was just being a bit proactive with considerations for future use of "Little Red".

Quote:
In short, just like any other fuel, if you keep Stabil in it you are fine. If you use the tractor frequently and are constantly refreshing the fuel you can eliminate the Stabil. I keep Stabil in all of my fuel, because I never know when I'll be storing something with fuel in it.

^^This^^

I've read lots of palaver on the valve issue. Some say it's only a problem if the engine is pushed hard, or perhaps run for an extremely long time. I wouldn't worry about it until the problem really does occur.

I've seen valve seat recession in several old engines that have run on unleaded gas. One of myv V8 Studebakers had a problem with seat recession and I've seen a couple of Ford engines with the same problem. I wouldn't worry about it as even if there is seat recession, hard seats need to be installed to be able to deal unleaded gas and the problem takes a while to occur anyway.

As mentioned here, you can use Stabil. Another one that can be used, is MMO.
MMO is very good, since it puts a micro thin protective layer on all metal parts inside the engine.
It will also clean and protect the valve seats.

MMO is well proven and tested and doesn't cost much, either.
It has been on the market since 1923.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Does the no lead gas cause problems in these old engines (valves)?

No. It's a low compression (6.5:1), low horsepower (25-30 hp) industrial engine with hardened valve seats that were designed for very long life. It runs just fine and there are no issues whatsoever with unleaded fuels.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
I've seen valve seat recession in several old engines that have run on unleaded gas. One of myv V8 Studebakers had a problem with seat recession and I've seen a couple of Ford engines with the same problem. I wouldn't worry about it as even if there is seat recession, hard seats need to be installed to be able to deal unleaded gas and the problem takes a while to occur anyway.

See my response above. This isn't a V8 Studebaker, it's a Ford N tractor. Your comparison isn't valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back