Keep blowing main fuse on CB400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago I was out for a ride and lost all electrical. Pulled over, did a few checks and found the 15A main fuse had blown (lucky the spare was still there). Anyway, replaced it and off I went with no problems.

So yesterday I get my bike out, turn the key and find myself w/out electrical again. Sure enough, main fuse blown; replaced once more and no problems during a 40-50 mile ride.

When it comes to electrical problems, I'm pretty limited in my troubleshooting abilities. The battery was dead after winter storage, but I trickle charged it and it's fine (12.7 amps). A few years ago the stator died, so I had that rewound/repaired. That's about it for my forays into electrical problems.

Anybody have an idea where I should start troubleshooting? I've got a local metric bike shop that does good work at reasonable prices, but they are always backed up with work...don't want to drop my bike off and wait a month. As such, I'm trying to figure this out on my own w/a cheap voltmeter and a Clymer's manual.

Thanks.

M_C

Sounds like insulation rubbed off where it passes through a frame tube... PITA ,but not difficult.Key on / engine off. Pop a piece of of solder into the socket , and start wiggling things until the solder pops .

Originally Posted By: flacoman
Sounds like insulation rubbed off where it passes through a frame tube... PITA ,but not difficult.Key on / engine off. Pop a piece of of solder into the socket , and start wiggling things until the solder pops .
This may be the easiest way. I would look at the hand controls and wiring associated with that.

Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
Originally Posted By: flacoman
This may be the easiest way. I would look at the hand controls and wiring associated with that.

This reply gets my vote and is where i would start if it were mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back