Quantas A380 To Fly Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no A350 flying as we speak, and customer is dumping the A330 for the 787 and 777. The A340 was history as soon as the 787 was delivered. Nothing can challenge the 787 in long range economy. Did you read the link I have posted above? Airbus is in the red for the last five years. Airbus asked us to delay the shipping of A350 ship set until 2017 because of funding. They don't have the money to fund their supposedly money maker. The single aisle is not where the money is since competition from both are fierce. The 777 with over 1000 deliveries and 350+ backlog are monies in the bank. Boeing also got the tanker deals plus spares.

Like I said, your mistake is associating delivery with profit. BTW, Airbus parent company EADS is making money with other divisions but not with Airbus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Airbus is not in the red, and the A330 is selling very well.
The 787 has competition from the A350, and the A330 is also a competitor, and even without competition, it is not yet a profitable program based upon orders to date.
Anyway, most of the deliveries from both airframe makers are in the single aisle segment, with the A319/320/321 and the 737-XXX running neck and neck, with current sales for each based more upon delivery dates than anything else.

I am not sure I can support any of the above set of statements...the A330 isn't selling that well...It's been in production now for 20 years, and with 800+ delivered...but deliveries have declined and there are many airlines who bought a few, but given the number of years in service, they haven't added to their fleets and are replacing them with the 787...

The A350 is a paper airplane, with a prototype rolled out, a static test model under construction, but no vehicle has flown yet...let's not forget that you're talking about the A350XWB. The original A350 was put on paper and no airline had any interest. Even ILFC wasn't interested and they pushed for the re-design....as one of Airbus' biggest customers, Airbus listened to ILFC...There are lots of options and orders for the A350, but orders, options, and deliveries are very different things...

The 787 doesn't have any competition from the A350 since it won't be delivered, now, until 2018...and that's back from the originally proposed 2014...Airbus has been struggling to deliver the A380...and have had to focus on that effort, curtailing the resources applied to the A350.

Because of delivery delays and performance target failures, FedEx, UPS and others canceled their A380F (freighter) orders and the A380F remains offered, but none have yet been built. The A380 program has yet to turn a profit at Airbus...and Airbus itself has said that break even should be in 2015...though many question that date given the exchange rate and delivery history...

The 787 is here, flying, and has huge orders. It is slated to turn a profit before the A350 even hits the airline fleets....and likely before the A380 does too...

For the record, I have a type rating in the A320, 757, 767 and 747-400...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back