Oil for 2004 Chrysler Crossfire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Any recommendations ... Manual Calls for 0w40 ..
Its Mercedes engine ...

Any cheaper options ?

Thx

I'm not in US, And the one close to Border dosen't carry it
frown.gif

10$ a Liter its a bit step ... for that car ... 60K Km on it ... but still ..

Thx

Last edited:
I have seen 15W-40 HDEO's perform well in engines spec'd for "European" oil's. If 0W-40;5W-40 are not readily available is what I recommend to use.

I'd only use what it calls for, personally, because of the Merc' ties. If you want to though, find yourself a good 5W-40. Obviously this runs the risk of voiding any engine warranties as it won't be suitably spec'd.

Rotella 5W-40 is what I'd run and probably be confident. I'd watch out running a long OCI on anything but a quality full synthetic.

M1 0W-40 0r Syntec 0W-30 are right for this engine.
Use either and sleep well.
This car is not yet an old beater, so I'd use the proper oil in it.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
I'm not in US, And the one close to Border dosen't carry it
frown.gif

10$ a Liter its a bit step ... for that car ... 60K Km on it ... but still ..

Thx

I expect with the car being almost 9 years old that the OP is not under warranty and the specified oil is almost impossible to acquire were he/she living correct? If this is the case a 15W40 HDEO is what I recommend.

15W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 114
cSt @ 100ºC 15.0
CCS, cP, ASTM D 6500 @ -20ºC
MRV, cP, ASTM D 19,000 @ -25ºC
HTHS @ 150ºC, cP, ASTM D4683 4.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 137
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 10.5
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -30
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 0.876

0W-40

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40º C 75
@ 100º C 13.5
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40ºC, cP 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230

So in short a 15W-40 will provide the target HTHS viscosity it will be a bit thicker at operating temps and thicker at start up so I would not flog the motor at startup. VI is not great in the favor of the HDEO but I assume it is warm were the OP is living you will not see very many starts with Frost/Ice on the ground? If so 15W-40 HDEO would be what I recommend in this situation, I do not always recommend something like this but you have to use what is available and reasonable. If a 10W-30 HDEO is readily available that would be something I would recommend over the 15W-40 if you do not treat your crossfire to a couple of simulated autobahn runs daily. Just do not start the engine then act like you are John Force and you should be fine.

To the posters that state that the OP should just use the recommended oil that recommendation is under the assumption that the recommended oil can be bought at the local dealer or local auto parts store. Normally I agree but sometimes circumstances dictate that the course of action can not be reasonably met and a suitable alternative must be found.

Dave amazing thank you!

But I think this will be to thick for Ontario Winter ..

I can get 0w40 but current price is over 10$ here ... with .8.5 sump its 90$ just for Oil ...:) But I might just keep doing it ... every 15K

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Dave amazing thank you!

But I think this will be to thick for Ontario Winter ..

Another "reasonable" option is Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. You're not going to get that much cheaper than M1 0w-40, though. If you go to a conventional 15w-40 or even a 10w-40, it might be advisable to shorten the OCI, so that means going through more oil.

Unfortunately, we can't get you oil for $1 a litre that will get you to 15,000 mile OCIs.
wink.gif
Walmart does have rollbacks once in a while. They should be due for a one litre Mobil 1 rollback soon. Maybe Candian Tire is due for one, too. They both did the big jugs already, which doesn't help you out.

Thx guys, I will look around .. and if I will find nothing ... I will stick with 0w40

By the way, I noticed the Amsoil in your sig. Check with Pablo and see what's suitable in the Amsoil lineup. It's not going to save you a bunch of money, but if it's readily available to you, that's worth something.

Take a look in the HDEO section. Some countries outside the USA have a variety of 0w40 oils approved for gas and diesel engines.

Yep, and the the Rotella product will be cheaper than the Delvac 1 product. To be more accurate, the Rotella product will be on the shelf; the Delvac 1 will have to be picked up at the distributor, and it won't be terribly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back