40,000 hour Cat C-18 with 3000 hrs on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C-18 has a 17 gallon sump. The oil is delo 400 LE 15w40. Bypass filtration.

Whats my OCI?
wink.gif

4_r7final_1.jpg

just shows how inaccurate the testing is

look at the elements going up and down...

something tells me the TBN didnt go down 3.7 then back up 3.5

Last edited:
Viscosity is starting to climb just a bit...perhaps oxidation is the limiting factor in this OCI?

In any case the report looks excellent - the bypass filter has really cleaned up the oil. 5000 hours looks achievable, maybe more.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Were you topping off the oil at any point during this interval?

Yes I checked the motor books and the motormen were adding a little oil every couple of weeks. About a gallon at each top off.

Originally Posted By: yucca
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Were you topping off the oil at any point during this interval?

Yes I checked the motor books and the motormen were adding a little oil every couple of weeks. About a gallon at each top off.

Could that explain some of the TBN "inconsistencies" if the oil was topped of just before sample #3 was drawn? Although adding one gallon into existing 16 should not really make that significant of a difference...

The oil was changed at 3300. I guess I could always pull two samples each time for the next 3000 hours to compare data from two different companies.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Viscosity is starting to climb just a bit...perhaps oxidation is the limiting factor in this OCI?

In any case the report looks excellent - the bypass filter has really cleaned up the oil. 5000 hours looks achievable, maybe more.

The C-18 sitting on the floor along with the one from the sample above is giving us fits. The iron and copper are pretty high. It is a newer C-18 about 10 months old with about 5500 hours total. Still under warrenty. The dealer techs have had to put two new turbos on it so far.

If I could get that under control I would see if could get a little more time out of the OCI.

May I ask why the oil was changed? What am I missing. I see the slight increase in wear metals but the levels still look extremely low to me.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
May I ask why the oil was changed? What am I missing. I see the slight increase in wear metals but the levels still look extremely low to me.

Your not missing anything. The simple answer is that it is easier to manage it by changing the oil out. Since the oil on the other newer C-18 sitting next to it was reading 199 copper and 49 iron and HAD to be changed. Did I spend @250 bucks on oil that I did not need to? Yes I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back