Chrysler MS-6395

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

Yeah I'm sure many do. I was more interested in the fact that it's a field trial over two years.

If a manufacturer can revise a specification but keep the same number, how can we possibly know which bottles meet the specification?

They should use a new number for the specification.

Sounds like Chrysler wants a 2 year monopoly.IF nobody can certify for 2 years,that means Mopar oil will be the only approved choice.

Kudos to Mobil though for not saying it meets it when it hasn't been tested.

Originally Posted By: SteveHarper
If a manufacturer can revise a specification but keep the same number, how can we possibly know which bottles meet the specification?

Chrysler MS-6395 actually has a letter at the end designating what version it is. Last one I knew of was MS-6395-N.

The funny part is Chrysler doesn't always tell you what version you should be running in the owner's manual. Sometimes you get the full spec designation and other times they will just say use MS-6395.

So then how can other blenders state their 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 meets the spec including MOPAR oil that is just re-badged PYB? Did Mobil and BP drop the ball on the certification because I found that SOPUS products and Valvoline state that their oils meet the cert but XOM and BP oils do not the question that you posted leads to more questions.

Originally Posted By: SteveHarper

Exactly. This just sounds like Chrysler is trying to extort some $$ from XOM. LOL

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
My TC says MS-6395. All oils I looked at had MS-6395 (Valvoline and QS), and no letters.

Do a search for MS6395M or N. I have even see Q come up in a search.

The Chrysler spec is the only spec that I can think of where no one knows the specifics. I'd love to see what exactly Chrysler is trying to achieve or what they consider of highest importance. Has anyone been able to find specifics?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan
The Chrysler spec is the only spec that I can think of where no one knows the specifics. I'd love to see what exactly Chrysler is trying to achieve or what they consider of highest importance. Has anyone been able to find specifics?

I asked this question many times when I had my 08 wrangler and never could get an answer
21.gif

My dealer uses syn blend for oil changes. Mobil or Pennzoil whatever they get in. Don't know % of blend.
I use NAPA 5W20/RP oil filter in my Ram Hemi, change it at 5K.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
I submitted an inquiry to Chrysler asking for the parameters of the spec. I'll post any response I receive.

Best of luck. I tried that a couple times and they wouldn't provide the info. That was pre-Fiat though so maybe now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back