Chevrolet SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy should have picked up where GM left off with the Pontiac G8 a few years ago. All they would have needed to do was change the logos and the grille, cheapen the interior a bit, and it would have been a hit.

Yes, I'm SO much smarter than GM management.
wink.gif

well just reading that story.... they did.
that Pontiac G8? it was just a Left hand drive Holden Commodore. made in same Aussie plant as the commodore, and that the ss will be.

Last edited:
That kinda muffs the whole SS package and badge on other cars to just name this new car "SS"

And how can that look like anything, its looks like a stock car with a concealing pattern on it..

GM today is all about sourcing from Holden,Opel,and Daewoo...
Ford sources from Mazda,Volvo
Chrysler sources from FIAT.
Its much cheaper to bring in existing product than it is to start from scratch.
In todays economics,you would never see a Corvair,Toronado,Vega,Pinto,Prowler..etc....unless it was already sold somewhere else.

What kills me is it will be built in Australia,like the GTO.
And another new engine...planned obsolescence...
Empty suits and dumb consumers.
I'd like to see the American Auto industry thrive...but not by selling over priced inferior products.
Shove the electronic features right where they sit!
whistle.gif

Choices for options include color?
sleep.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
In todays economics,you would never see a Corvair,Toronado,Vega,Pinto,Prowler..etc....unless it was already sold somewhere else.

Nor do you WANT to see the first 4 of the above vehicles reincarnated again. Perhaps they're onto something by using existing platforms these days.

Originally Posted By: SkyGod
What kills me is it will be built in Australia,like the GTO.
And another new engine...planned obsolescence...
Empty suits and dumb consumers.
I'd like to see the American Auto industry thrive...but not by selling over priced inferior products.
Shove the electronic features right where they sit!
whistle.gif

Choices for options include color?
sleep.gif

Actually, it will be imported at first, then built in canada..

Meh, Chevy needs something with 4 doors that hauls %#$@. Right now, if you don't want a coupe, look elsewhere...?

I'm all for it. The more RWD, fun to drive choices out there the better. Admittedly I probably wouldn't be in the market for this particular car b/c I'm more of a small wagon/hatch type, but I'm still a fan of fast but practical RWD sedans.

Here's hoping they offer it with a MT, though. If I had been in the market for a sedan, that's the main thing that would've taken the Charger off my list and I'm guessing this will be in the same boat.

This is going to be more rare than the Volt. 9000 units? You may never see one. These things make me want to puke. Whatever happened to building cars and selling one million of them,... 50 years ago!? (I'm talking about the Mustang.) The domestic industry seems to say... Here's all our [censored], buy it... Oh and we also build something nice but good luck actually getting your hand (or eyes) on one.

What is the business sense in this?

Heard it on the radio this morning, as a press release from Holden.

"making it to compete in NASCAR, which is second only to F1"

What bollocks, saying that a street car is designed for NASCAR (that'll be the fuzzy blocked out Lumina).

What can we take from the scant knowledge ?

New Commondore will be based on the Oz designed Camaro chassis...good.

Therefore there will be V-8 6 speed (at least for Oz market)...good.

If it's made in Oz initially even, Australia gets back some of THEIR GM bail out money.

As to the "mass production", it Is in Oz for the Oz market. SS Commondores are everywhere....highway patrol included.

I like the basic idea that GM is introducing a RWD sedan again, and from what I have read the Holden platform is a good one.

OT, but does anybody else find it annoying that companies brand Nascar COTs to match their consumer model names, even though the cars have nothing at all in common? Personally, I wouldn't mind saying it's a Ford Nascar, or a Chevy, but calling one a Taurus or a Camry is just stupid.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Here's hoping they offer it with a MT, though. If I had been in the market for a sedan, that's the main thing that would've taken the Charger off my list and I'm guessing this will be in the same boat.

My sentiments exactly. Its not like they don't have the parts to pull from the Challenger/Camaro to do it. IMO the big 3 have lost there way.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
OT, but does anybody else find it annoying that companies brand Nascar COTs to match their consumer model names, even though the cars have nothing at all in common? Personally, I wouldn't mind saying it's a Ford Nascar, or a Chevy, but calling one a Taurus or a Camry is just stupid.

No different that calling John Force's funny car a Mustang or Bob Glidden's pro stock Ford Probe.

Originally Posted By: SkyGod
.... What kills me is it will be built in Australia,like the GTO. ....

Having owned two of the Australian cars, made in Australia is a big plus - Holdens are much more robust and better built than U.S. made cars.

I'm glad to see the Commodore coming back; don't know that I would buy a Chevrolet passenger car, though. If it had a dart on it, I would be all in - my G8 will be five years old by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back