LubeGard Red in Power Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had put 1 ounce of Lubegard red in my power steering fluid. They have a power steering specific formula, but I figured the regular one, which is stocked at O'reilly, would work also.

Before putting it in, my steering was pretty firm(by design) and when stopped, felt slightly notchy.

After putting it in, the notchiness went away, the steering was smoother at all times, and slightly easier.

I tried one more ounce, and the steering is velvet smooth and much easier.

I think you could have accomplished the same thing with Mobil 1 or Amsoil ATF, and most likely at a lower price.

I switched to try and get the steering to smooth out some. I had had it looked at and was told that it was perfectly normal. I thought maybe fresh fluid would help and ATF is allowed, so I figured, why not Mobil 1?

I've even driven a few other Impalas that had the same feel. It seems to be a characteristic of the quick ratio steering, combined with the heavy car, and wide tires.

Vader,

Maybe just a preception, but does it seem as if the newer vehicles have underpowered
PS, I mean it seems to take more effort than did the older cars and trucks, or is the
variable ratio that does that?

Maybe I'm just weak and lazy?
tongue.gif

Have great weekend!
patriot.gif

It's true. Most newer vehicles do have firmer steering. I can't say it's the variable effort steering though, as it seems that they would shoot for the old "pinkie finger" steering while moving slowly. I think that the public has been conditioned to think that firm steering is somehow better. It is a band-aid for the lack of feel that most power systems have. The 96 Caprice had the same steeing setup as the Impala, but with slower steering and more boost. They should have just given it the quicker steering while leaving the boost in.

Vader,

Good, So I 'm not loosing my muscle tone, just my mind.
shocked.gif

Just thought of something, Could the automakers be trying to save (shave) a little fuel for CAFE by building PS systems that require less HP to power?

One other thing I've noticed: The alternator output power went up about the same time as the PS power went down. Think maybe there is some type of "Power Conspiracy" going on here??
grin.gif

The typical driver has been conditioned to believe that less power assist equates to better steering "feel". That's not always the case. In fact, a low boost system can be equally as numb as an overboosted "park with your pinky" system. Most drivers are unable to tell the difference so many manufacturers dial back the assist and Joe Average trundles down the road as happy as a pig in mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back