Toyota 0w20 SN in a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very kind BITOG'er sent me 6qts of Toyota 0w20 SN that I will be using in the Honda. (not that anyone cares lol).

My 14 mile commute is 75% stop and go. I will be interested to see how the viscosity holds up. All the UOA's for my car have come back with low flash point and some fuel dilution.

Despite the high VI of the Toyota oil, the viscosity has been surprisingly stable. I'd assume this oil is using the Visom base oil, maybe even some PAO.

That's one very kind member!
Aside from the Sustina 0W-20, the TGMO 0W-20 is likely the most fuel efficient oil available.
Let us know if you've noticed anything different in how the Honda runs.

It's a TOYOTA product, made to TOYOTA's developed specs, and made for Toyota by XOM, and has no resemblance whatsoever
to any XOM oil ! Cut the subliminal commercials !

Originally Posted By: buster
A very kind BITOG'er sent me 6qts of Toyota 0w20 SN that I will be using in the Honda.

If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to check with your dealer to make sure your (unknown) Honda can actually use 0W-20 safely. Not all Honda engines can use 0W-20 without damage.

Honda has a "Job Aid" that dealers can refer to on this matter.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
A very kind BITOG'er sent me 6qts of Toyota 0w20 SN that I will be using in the Honda.

If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to check with your dealer to make sure your (unknown) Honda can actually use 0W-20 safely. Not all Honda engines can use 0W-20 without damage.

That isn't true AFAIK. Doesn't matter and in some cases a 0w20good is better. Ian out of warranty anyway.

Can't post picture here, there's a Honda engine oil chart around on the net, just google it.

Buster, the Toyota oil is really inexpensive. I would seriously doubt that it would have PAO; it already has lots of expensive moly. I would assume it is almost exclusively Group 3.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Buster, the Toyota oil is really inexpensive. I would seriously doubt that it would have PAO; it already has lots of expensive moly. I would assume it is almost exclusively Group 3.

I think you're right. I highly doubt it has any Group IV actually. I take that back. Still a very good 0w20 for it's intended purpose. Surprisingly holds does well up to 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: lemonade
Can't post picture here, there's a Honda engine oil chart around on the net, just google it.

Yeah it shows a 5w20 for all temps. That doesn't mean you CAN'T use a 0w20. If you know what a 0w20 is, then it shouldn't even be a question.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
It's a TOYOTA product, made to TOYOTA's developed specs, and made for Toyota by XOM, and has no resemblance whatsoever
to any XOM oil ! Cut the subliminal commercials !

Just as I said, It's made by M1(XM). Glad to see you agree. No need to get excited. Do you believe XM created a new lab and production plant just for Toyota 0-20. Next year someone else may get the contract. You know, lowest bidder.

buster-

What Honda will you be running this oil in?

I've tried the new Conoco Philips made Honda 0w20 in my R18 Civic, it was good but nothing special. I'm now using the Subaru (Idemitsu) 0w20, but I've considered the Toyota branded product.

There's a dearth of R-series UOAs around here so I'm hoping that's what you've got.

Buster has the SN which we are guessing has the new Tri-Nuclear (Trimmer?) moly with the associated lower count.

The SM is the stuff that is more akin to a bottle of moly additive that PCMO.

Originally Posted By: Capa

Subscribed. I have a Honda V6 and just acquired a Toyota V6 that both spec 0W-20 oil. I have one more OC worth of Honda Gen-U-Ine, then three cases of TGMO, one SM and two SN. I was thinking of putting the SM in the VCM Honda since they made such a big deal about moly-impregnated piston skirts. One can only conclude that Honda engineers believe it is important for their engines to be exposed to high levels of moly for extended periods and yet, their brand oil from COP shows a typical SN <100. I'm having a hard time buying into this theory that the Toyota SN offers the same level of active moly as their SM but it just doesn't show up on UOAs. They are not immune from cost cutting pressures. Anybody have authoritative documentation of this?

Last edited:

That isn't true AFAIK.

What "isn't true"? The part about some Honda engines not being able to use 0W-20 without damage, or the part about Honda's "Job Aid"? Sorry, but both are true.

Here's what Honda says in a Honda Service News article in January 2010:
"And just so you know, we’re coming out
soon with a job aid that shows which current Honda
engines using 5W-20 can also use 0W-20. With this
job aid, your dealership will enjoy more servicing and
stocking flexibility."

That Job Aid is now a reality. The dealer can read the Job Aid by going to ISIS (Honda's online tech site for dealers), and clicking on "Job Aids".

Interesting Tegger, but I see zero reason why a 0w can't be used in place of a 5w. XOM says their 0w can be used in place of any 5w oil.

Both a 0w20 and a 5w20 will have roughly the same viscosity. The only difference is the 0w will flow better at start-up. Both will have the same HT/HS of 2.6 min.

Interesting Tegger, but I see zero reason why a 0w can't be used in place of a 5w. ... The only difference is the 0w will flow better at start-up. Both will have the same HT/HS of 2.6 min.

Completely agree. I would always use a 0w in place of a 5w or 10w and I see no reason not to aside from price or availability. 0w oils (in general) have superior performance to 5w or 10w oils.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Interesting Tegger, but I see zero reason why a 0w can't be used in place of a 5w. ... The only difference is the 0w will flow better at start-up. Both will have the same HT/HS of 2.6 min.

Completely agree. I would always use a 0w in place of a 5w or 10w and I see no reason not to aside from price or availability. 0w oils (in general) have superior performance to 5w or 10w oils.

Right.
It is a common newbie assumption that a 0W-20 is significantly lighter at operating temp's than a 5W-20. The truth is, whether it is a 0W or 5W has no bearing on how thick the oil is at operating temp's. 5W-20 dino's are probabily the lightest 20wt oils on the market at the end of an extended OCI at operating temp's.
Many 0W-20's such as M1 AFE (HTHSV 2.7cP) and Amsoil 0W-20 (HTHSV 2.8cP) are heavier than most 5W-20 oils.

That isn't true AFAIK.

What "isn't true"? The part about some Honda engines not being able to use 0W-20 without damage, or the part about Honda's "Job Aid"? Sorry, but both are true.

Here's what Honda says in a Honda Service News article in January 2010:
"And just so you know, we’re coming out
soon with a job aid that shows which current Honda
engines using 5W-20 can also use 0W-20. With this
job aid, your dealership will enjoy more servicing and
stocking flexibility."

That Job Aid is now a reality. The dealer can read the Job Aid by going to ISIS (Honda's online tech site for dealers), and clicking on "Job Aids".

If any engine would destroy itself on 0W20 how could it not destruct on a 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back