Ca riders..... any fuel issues lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I'm wondering if i have a fuel issue that just started recently, and i have reason to believe it could be Ca's supply. As you know we have summer fuel that according to the news is in very short supply right now due to some refineries that make that fuel being closed. This is what they say is responsible for prices rising here in recent days while they're dropping elsewhere. Not sure how they make summer fuel, but maybe more ethanol? Also, with short supply maybe they are messing with the formula to stretch it? This is all speculation but heres why i have been thinking this out.

About 2 weeks ago i filled up at my regular station and used mid grade as always. My triumph thunderbird 1700 twin runs better on that than regular. On my ride that day the engine began making a rather loud sound that i'm thinking may be knocking, sorta like a lugging sound but w/o the vibration. A few days back i had about 1/3 tank and i put 2 gallons of premium in. The noised seemed 80% reduced in both how often i noticed it and how loud. Seemed almost gone. Then a few days later i filled up all the way from about 1/4 tank with mid grade. The noise was back and as loud if not louder than before. This was also fuel from another station so maybe being the loudest so far i thought possibly thier supplier's summer fuel is even worse, especially if they are adding more ethanol or whatever it is they add to summer fuel in order to increase the supply volume.

Again, thats all speculation, but based on what i have experienced and what i heard on the news i'm trying to figure out whether it's likely. I will run my tank low and try premium again,. but till then i'm researching this, hence this post. I also mentioned this to a co worker, and coincidence or not i dunno, but he said his car started running lousy and missing TWO WEEKS AGO, the same time i filled up and began experiencing this.

So my question to you Ca riders, have you noticed any negative changes in the way your bike is running in the last couple weeks?

Summer fuel is more likely a RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) thing.

When you buy midgrade, the pump mixes regular and super, so foul gas in either tank can cause you issues.

By the way, that friend's car i mentioned....just talked to him again and i was mistaken. It was his HARLEY. Even more suspicious now.

No, I filled up with regular in all my cars the last 2-3 weeks and all ran fine, the price did increase from around $4.1x 3-4 weeks ago to $4.3x now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back