Comparing Amsoil's Gear Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a while I have run 75W90 Severe Gear in my 88 4Runner with Detroit TrueTracs in front and back. These are non-clutch limited slip diffs. I'm looking at freshening up the gear oil and am considering going with Amsoil's cheapest 80W90 synthetic lube to save some $$.

My question is, what is the added value from this cheaper grade to the Severe Gear grades? For low-HP, around-town and occasional moderate off-road use, is the more expensive product that much of an upgrade?

I still want to stick with Amsoil as I believe they do a great job with their drivetrain lubes. I run their MTF in my Hondas and MTG in the 4Runner and have always been more than happy with them.

JZiggy

Hard to go wrong with the Amsoil they make a good product. For normal duty the 80W90 probably will work fine, what does Toyota recommend for the 4Runner?

The FSM, if I recall it correctly, specs 90W for normal weather and 80W90 for cold. GL-5 in the diffs, GL-4 or 5 in the trans and transfer.

Given the diff only takes a small amount and you only change it every few years, what are you talking about in $$. Under $20 for both I would assume. It looks about $2/QT difference in price. You might be better off leaving the Amsoil SVG in there than new cheaper gear oil. Are you an Amsoil Preferred Buyer? Thats a better way to save some $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back