Need help getting everything I need (AMSOIL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to get into an amsoil is the best or whats better than amsoil thread, I've already decided to go with AMSOIL to tune up my Honda VTX 1300C (2006)

I want to change EVERYTHING, had the bike for 3 years and am ashamed to say I haven't even done an oil change.

I need to know what I need for AMSOIL

I want to change the following:

Fork Oil
10W

Final Drive Oil
90W

Oil
10W-40

Coolant
Silicate Free

Brake Fluid
DOT4

I found the Oil and was told for the fork oil, amsoil light weight suspension fluid would work. Can you guys help me figure out the amsoil equivalents to the rest?

Also I need some moly to mix in with the final drive oil and I'm not even sure what it is.

Thanks in advance
Scotty

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Contact Pablo, he'll get you what you need.

Who is Pablo and how can I reach him? Is he an AMSOIL Dealer?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Amsoil has a product lookup guide for motorcycles on its website.

It only lists the oil but not the other fluids I need. I want to switch it all over to synthetics and need to get the old fluid out, not only have I not done it in the 3 years I've owned it but I got it used and I dont know if the previous owner did it in the 3 years he owned it as well.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Amsoil has a product lookup guide for motorcycles on its website.

It only lists the oil but not the other fluids I need. I want to switch it all over to synthetics and need to get the old fluid out, not only have I not done it in the 3 years I've owned it but I got it used and I dont know if the previous owner did it in the 3 years he owned it as well.

ouch.. get that old oil out ! wonder if its the factory fill / break in oil ? eeesh..

I picked it up from the dealer so I doubt it's factory fill but it could be. It looks clean on the dipstick though and isn't low so that's a plus.

Fork Oil
10W I would recommend the medium: Amsoil STM

Final Drive Oil
90W Amsoil SVG 75W-90

Oil
10W-40 Amsoil MCF 10W-40

Coolant
Silicate Free Amsoil ANT Coolant

Brake Fluid
DOT4 Amsoil BF4 DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Originally Posted By: Scotty
I found the Oil and was told for the fork oil, amsoil light weight suspension fluid would work.

I would go with the medium, because it is 10W, but if someone has direct experience with light weight performing better, then we can explore that.

Also I need some moly to mix in with the final drive oil and I'm not even sure what it is.

This is the only part I'm struggling with. Please tell me exactly where it says this, and the exact words.

Thanks!

Paul (Pablo)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Fork Oil
10W I would recommend the medium: Amsoil STM

Final Drive Oil
90W Amsoil SVG 75W-90

Oil
10W-40 Amsoil MCF 10W-40

Coolant
Silicate Free Amsoil ANT Coolant

Brake Fluid
DOT4 Amsoil BF4 DOT 4 Brake Fluid

I found the Oil and was told for the fork oil, amsoil light weight suspension fluid would work.

I would go with the medium, because it is 10W, but if someone has direct experience with light weight performing better, then we can explore that.

This is the only part I'm struggling with. Please tell me exactly where it says this, and the exact words.

Thanks!

Paul (Pablo)

I was told by someone on a vtx forum to mix a bit of moly in with the final drive oil, if you think thats a bad idea lmk.

Are you an amsoil dealer Pablo? Someone told me to get with you getting what I need and I don't know if they meant the amsoil or the information about it. Nvm I just noticed the link in your sig.

Thanks for the info also, I found a dealer close to me and he told me the light weight suspension oil was 10W so I'm glad that got corrected before I placed an order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info also, I found a dealer close to me and he told me the light weight suspension oil was 10W so I'm glad that got corrected before I placed an order.

The spec for Amsoil Medium (Amsoil STM) says it is a 10W...how can the "light" be a 10W as well?

See Pablo's link above.

Last edited:
Thank you ammolab, don't worry I read what Pablo posted and was thanking him for correcting me on the right one to buy. I trust what I read on here over the guy I talked to at the shop.

I was told by someone on a vtx forum to mix a bit of moly in with the final drive oil, if you think thats a bad idea lmk.

Are you an amsoil dealer Pablo? Someone told me to get with you getting what I need and I don't know if they meant the amsoil or the information about it. Nvm I just noticed the link in your sig.

Yes I am a Dealer. Did you already place your order with another dealer?

No not yet, I just spoke with one about some of the things I might need. Wasn't going to order until later.

I had a VTX 1800, don't worry about the moly additive. Just use a quality gear oil like the SVG mentioned.

No not yet, I just spoke with one about some of the things I might need. Wasn't going to order until later.

Make sure to give Pablo a try. He's one of the good guys.
thumbsup2.gif

Honda sells a 60% moly paste for lubing the driveshaft splines. This is very important. I don't know any details about your model, but if you have any doubts, buy the Honda gear oil for the final drive. Amsoil is good stuff, but Honda may spec something special for the final drive.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

The spec for Amsoil Medium (Amsoil STM) says it is a 10W...how can the "light" be a 10W as well?

See Pablo's link above.

The Medium is 10 wt. The Light is 5 wt. By the way, fork oils are sold as oil "weights" when they should be sold according to the ISO kinematic viscosity at 40°C...and the Amsoil medium is an ISO 32. Oil weights properly apply only to engine oil and automotive gear oils.

Thanks in advance
Scotty

Honda uses a moly assembly paste for the final drive unit. This mistakenly leads to some owners to think that the drive oil is overly contaminated (black) - while others believe that they need to add moly to the gear oil when they change it.

The Genuine Honda shaft drive oil (the one with the picture of a Gold Wing on it) contains virtually no moly.

However, the shaft splines on the rear hub (when you remove the rear wheel) should be lubed every time that the rear tire is changed. Honda recommends their "Moly 60" grease for that.

Thanks everyone for your help and Pablo was extremely helpful in helping me figure out what I needed and how to get it. I was even able to save on shipping and pick the stuff up in the columbus warehouse, only about 15 min from my work.

If anyone else is thinking about getting AMSoil Pablo is your guy.

PS if anyone near Columbus, OH is interested in helping me change the fluids shoot me a PM, Ive only ever done engine oil before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back