Stored Diesel Still Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 40 litres of diesel fuel sitting in the dark in my outdoor shed, in case of "emergency". It's been two years. I added some conditioner when I put them away in the blue plastic fuel cans. I now want to empty them into the Jetta and get fresh stuff.

Question:would the stored diesel probably be okay to use and not cause running problems?

Your larger backup generators store huge quantities of diesel for running computers during hurricanes, etc. I think one I worked at had 50K gallons. While they start up the generators every week or two, they do not use much fuel up any one year unless there is a power outage.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think one I worked at had 50K gallons.

I seriously doubt that. 5000 gallons would be believable, but 50,000?

I recently toured a 42 acre datacenter that has 24 quad-turbo 16 cylinder Caterpillar diesel backup generators, putting out about 2800 shaft HP each. Even they "only" keep 20,000 gallons on hand. They stated that they could run for 12 hours on that.

This facility uses enough power to run 50,000 homes, btw. It is located in a city about an hour away from mine, because the local power utility here declined the business. (they are already running near capacity)

A small, high speed engine with modern injection will be very picky about the fuel in it. I'd mix that old fuel with new fuel, maybe 1 gallon of old per tank. A large industrial diesel can handle fuel of varying qualities...I've run diesel several years old in an ALCO (2700 hp V16) and it ran like always...and nothing like a VW diesel.

TTC, in the future, I'd store diesel without a stabilizer no more than six months, and with stabilizer no more than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back