Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to have good reviews on several car forums, I personally use ATE (Ah-tay) blue brake fluid with good results, don't know how hard your bike is on fluid. I use ATE on my rx-7 that i track on occasion. Castrol SRF is also popular with track cars and bikes.

I recommend switching over to silicon brake fluid. You need to flush it good but then after that you will never need to change fluid again. Bikes with ABS need not apply.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I recommend switching over to silicon brake fluid. You need to flush it good but then after that you will never need to change fluid again. Bikes with ABS need not apply.

With all respect I disagree with your recommendation. Too many reasons to list, just 40+ years experience. Well maintained Dot4 system works just fine. YMMV

agree

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

With all respect I disagree with your recommendation. Too many reasons to list, just 40+ years experience. Well maintained Dot4 system works just fine. YMMV

No maintenance at all with Dot 5 is a lot better and simpler than a well maintained Dot 4 system. With 40+ years of maintaining Dot 4 systems I guess you would have a lot of reasons. The military with their lives (and mine) on the line believe in Dot 5. Again, ABS need not apply.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14

No maintenance at all with Dot 5 is a lot better and simpler than a well maintained Dot 4 system. With 40+ years of maintaining Dot 4 systems I guess you would have a lot of reasons. The military with their lives (and mine) on the line believe in Dot 5. Again, ABS need not apply.

I didn't realize the military had so many motorcycles. I must be getting too old to be usefull on these subjects.
Smoky the Venerable

One interesting tidbit about DOT 3 and DOT 4 is that Dot 4 can absorb more moisture than DOT 3. And if the fluid isn't changed regularly ~2 years it's actual boiling point is service can be as low or lower than DOT 3. This is the reasoning behind many OEM automotives use DOT 3 and don't suggest a change interval.

OF course with Motorcycles you treat it more as a sports cars or even racing and DOT 4 and a brake fluid change every 2 years is usually the recommendation.

DOT 5 could be workable but I would not retrofit a system that had been filled with DOT 3,4. Any residual moisture will not be absord by DOT 5. And DOT 5 tends to hold air leading to mushy brake feel and hard to bleed brakes. Most people don't want a mushy brake feel especially on a performance vehicle. DOT 5 doesn't amke much sense to me in a motorcycle that has frequent maintenance requirements anyway.

I favor silicone (not silicon) brake fluid in my MG, but I will concur that unless you start with a bone-dry system, it doesn't mix well with DOT 3 or 4. It doesn't hold air, but any air pockets can split up into several bubbles very easily, making it difficult to bleed. I use it since it doesn't attract moisture, which is a big plus for my MG since there's a tiny breathing hole in the master cylinder cap. I switched over 8 years ago when I rebuilt the brake system, and it's still crystal clear. The mushy pedal folks talk about comes from the fact that if you get the brake fluid REALLY warm, it does become slightly more compressible than DOT 3. I've never noticed any change in the pedal feel, but I don't take it racing either.

Harley was using DOT 5 brake fluid for a short while and I believe that they are back to using DOT 4.

I'm not convinced about the DOT 5 stuff - and I certainly would not try to use it in a "previously" DOT 4 system.

My personal opinion - you understand.

.... and just a comment about what the military does/doesn't use... (not necessarily connected to brake fluid)
..... having spent time in two branches of Military service...
if you want "cutting edge" then look to the commercial entities - NOT the Military.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

if you want "cutting edge" then look to the commercial entities - NOT the Military.

Cutting edge in what? Commercial technologies came mostly from military research project. People don't know it because it is classified until release for public consumption.

The military went to Dot 5 fluid because they want dependability and low maintenance. They are the reason for Dot 5 fluid existence.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

Cutting edge in what? Commercial technologies came mostly from military research project. People don't know it because it is classified until release for public consumption.

The military went to Dot 5 fluid because they want dependability and low maintenance. They are the reason for Dot 5 fluid existence.

That's quite a stretch, don't you think?

Not at all. Here is an example, all of the digital imaging devices currently in use are based upon the CCD and CMOS technologies that were invented for guided missiles back in the early seventies. It was classified top secret back then.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
One interesting tidbit about DOT 3 and DOT 4 is that Dot 4 can absorb more moisture than DOT 3. And if the fluid isn't changed regularly ~2 years it's actual boiling point is service can be as low or lower than DOT 3. This is the reasoning behind many OEM automotives use DOT 3 and don't suggest a change interval.
Did you not mean that DOT 3 can absorb more than DOT 4?

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Did you not mean that DOT 3 can absorb more than DOT 4?

No DOT 4 is more hydroscopic than DOT 3, so DOT 4 can have a lower boiling point after being in service for an extended time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back