Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks 'Kule, I figured you might know about the shear stability. I never would have figured bright stock would "thin out" so fast. I know that STP didn't last a day in my air-cooled ATC200E (old 3-wheeler) before it was running off the dipstick like water.
shocked.gif

After seeing that, I never used STP again in an application I cared about.
frown.gif

So, are you saying that bright stock should be priced 1.5 to 3 times what a bargain conventional oil would be? I realize that even bargain dino oils are finished with additives 'n such. So, it's overpriced ... but not ridiculously so.
dunno.gif

OK, you might be the one to ask: How much polyisobutylenes (PIB) were in Diet Mr. Pib?
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

"OK, you might be the one to ask: How much polyisobutylenes (PIB) were in Diet Mr. Pib?"

Don't know about the PIB's in Pib, but the phosphoric acid will certainly clean the bird droppings off your windshield.
grin.gif

[ January 08, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Sorry Bob,24 years in trucking and legally logging nearly 2 million miles and a believer of Lucas products with positive results,hardly puts me on the hype hook.Sure theres better tech stuff out now since back then*actually better by how much* ?
Pulling 400K mile in-frames show positive proof that Lucas* products work as claimed,hardly a Motor-Up commercial ;-)We run all Syns.in our Class 8 trucks now as they come that way from the factory.
Lucas* has long term proven products which arent even close to Slick 50 hype.

SS/LS

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

quote:

Originally posted by SSLoneStar:
LUCAS *ROCKS* !! cant be in buisness this long without something working
wink.gif

If that's all it takes to be good, then better get ur slick50 out. It's been around longer than lucas. So has stp. They must be doing something right, right? I agree, they are. Amazing how easy it is to sell an additive to a confused public with tv ad's, infomercials, and paying some race car team to post their name on the side of their car. You, my friend are exactly the prime canidate for these ads and like many, have that "feel good" feeling from using such and really fail to understand just how good maybe your existing lubricant is doing the job.

quote:

Sorry Bob,24 years in trucking and legally logging nearly 2 million miles and a believer of Lucas products with positive results,hardly puts me on the hype hook.Sure theres better tech stuff out now since back then*actually better by how much* ?
Pulling 400K mile in-frames show positive proof that Lucas* products work as claimed,hardly a Motor-Up commercial ;-)We run all Syns.in our Class 8 trucks now as they come that way from the factory.
Lucas* has long term proven products which aren't even close to Slick 50 hype.

SS/LS

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

quote:

LUCAS *ROCKS* !! cant be in buisness this long without something working
wink.gif

If that's all it takes to be good, then better get ur slick50 out. It's been around longer than lucas. So has stp. They must be doing something right, right? I agree, they are. Amazing how easy it is to sell an additive to a confused public with tv ad's, infomercials, and paying some race car team to post their name on the side of their car. You, my friend are exactly the prime candidate for these ads and like many, have that "feel good" feeling from using such and really fail to understand just how good maybe your existing lubricant is doing the job.

You think just maybe it might not be lucas but your attention to proper maintenance done with a good lubricant? Have you ever considered running 4+ vehicles with same engines, driving styles, and work loads to compare of that whole period of time? I don't think you'd find any difference from that. Not on the engine. rearends, another story, but engines, no, don't agree, and your story isn't anything to go by as you don't know just how well it would have done without this additive. Only if you took 4 trucks with identical systems, drivers, and usages, run over that same period, 2 of which used lucas and 2 not, and then could you actually say for a fact it did or didn't affect the outcome. I strongly believe that many don't give themselves enough credit like in your case, I believe you take the time to do proper maintenance, there fore, shouldn't have problems due to that little factor.

Bob raises a very valid point. If it were this easy, I could claim that the reason for my never having an engine failure was the brand of air freshener I have hanging from the mirror!
grin.gif

Can we prove it does not work? How much of an engines life also depends on how IT was put together.......all the parts having to be built properly, with base materials of sufficient quality, as well as being assembled properly?

Knocking anecdotal evidence from people who have use products gets no one anywhere. We all have are reasons for using certain products and to us they are valid...unless proven otherwise...something that is difficult to do.

From Schaffer oil, Supertech filters on and on......most of what we read are peoples preferences, with some numbers thrown in.....even the numbers are argued about their relevance or validity....enough of this additive.......to much of that.

That is what makes this board informative and interesting......just don't blow off people who have received good results or even believe they have received good results from this or that product. Just my opinion.

[ January 17, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

When I said Lucas was more slippery than regular dino oil, I was merely basing that on rubbing my fingers together. I had some motor oil on my hands from changing the oil, and when I poured the Lucas in I poured some on my fingers to see how it compared to the oil, and it just seemed to be a little more slippery thats all. Also at those auto parts counters with those gears, the gears running some lucas and oil was much easier to turn than the one with just motor oil. I also realize that was just gears though and not an engine.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
When I said Lucas was more slippery than regular dino oil, I was merely basing that on rubbing my fingers together. I had some motor oil on my hands from changing the oil, and when I poured the Lucas in I poured some on my fingers to see how it compared to the oil, and it just seemed to be a little more slippery thats all. Also at those auto parts counters with those gears, the gears running some lucas and oil was much easier to turn than the one with just motor oil. I also realize that was just gears though and not an engine.

Jason

Well Jason, I think this brings out a good point as to how one may seem to think it can help but when looking at doing your own home brews with already designed oils, this helps show how additives can actually cause clashes with the chemistry that was previously designed by that company. I find it particuarly interesting that this demo is identical as what they have on counters but because it cannot be spun fast enough to agitate the oil and additive it never becomes apparent what happens when mixed in a engine or rear end.

This is the big lesson about additives... You call any oil company, they will tell you that additives are not needed in their oil. Manufactures will tell you not to use additives in your oil. Oil guys will tell you not to use additives in your oil, mechanics noramlly will tell you not to use additives in your oil(at least the good ones
grin.gif
), Anyway, This really opened my eyes when I stumbled on this machine and tried this, and now I think many of us can see why this is so important now.

Interesting comment that oil companies don't recommend additives.

Valvoline sell a range of oil addtives down here.

Is there something that they're not telling us (i.e. you need the oil AND the additive) ?

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Interesting comment that oil companies don't recommend additives.

Valvoline sell a range of oil addtives down here.

Is there something that they're not telling us (i.e. you need the oil AND the additive) ?

I didn't say they don't sell them, but call them and they would advise against it.
Oil companies are no fools, they see where so many people are wanting to "mix" their own additives, so much so it is a billion dollar industry, so yes, why not sell additives? Does that mean they encourage the use of it with their oil? Well from all the calls to oil company engineers, see how many, say at penz/qstate, will tell you to go and put slick50 in their oil.

About 2 years ago I bought a 1989 Chevy R3500 pickup.
454, Turbo 475, non posi rear end, about 80,000 miles. The truck was very clean and looked well maintained. It was clean enough that the dealer who took it in as a trade put an 11 year old truck on his own lot instead of getting rid of it. The rear end made quite a bit of noise, and I saw the Lucas display at the parts store, so I decided to try it.
I used a 50/50 mix of Valvoline synthetic gear oil and Lucas, the rear end became almost silent. I decided to try it in the engine. My previous oil consumption was about 1500 miles to a qt. of oil, phenominal for a big block Chevy! with Valvoline no synthetic and 1 qt. Lucas, I am going 2500 to 3000 miles on a qt. of oil. The Transmission started having trouble going into reverse and third gears. I traced the problem to a valve sticking and not letting the clutch packs engage properly. Lucas is cheaper than a rebuild so I tried it. Third gear now works great and reverse is getting better the nore I drive it. I am guessing that the previous owner did not change the atf as often as he should have, causing the valves to stick, and the Lucas has evtra detergent which is slowly freeing them up. I also tried the power steering additive, and it made no difference, still a noisy pump, a new one from NAPA ! The truck now has 103000 miles, it runs great and uses almost no oil.

Lucas worked for me. Comments welcome

Note, this article has made me realize that it would cheaper to jst add a $2.00 qt. of oil at 1500 miles than it is to add Lucas at 3000 miles and $22.00 a gallon.

Truckerman

Truckerman,

I suspect the reason for the reduction in oil consumption is that Lucas is very heavy. I bet just using a heavier oil such as a 20w50 high mileage oil (Penzoil, Castrol GTX, or Maxlife) would reduce consumption as well. That is interesting about the Lucas quieting down the rear so much. I'd like to see what Bob has to say about that as I have no explanation other than the gears at those parts counters are easier to turn with the Lucas in than without the Lucas. I do like the Lucas Transmission Fix though as it stopped my friend's gf's car from slipping on takeoff.

Jason

Bob,

Yeah I'm starting to see how you don't really need any additives such as Lucas. But additives like Engine Restore are a bit different, and actually seem to make a difference on alot of high mileage engines. Would Engine Restore cause any sort of a "class" with the oil chemistry? I remember the results you got on the timken bearing, and they were quite good, but you also said Restore could impede oil flow in some cases.

Jason

also tried the Lucas/oil mix in my GF's 1991 Ford Ranger, and it did not help the noise at all. It did slow down the oil consumption on her 300000 mile V-6 engine. Lucas has worked 3 out of 5 tries. More than one parts counterman has told me that Lucas is wonderful, and I realize that they must have a biased opinion, because they sell it. I have also been thinking that a thicker oil might work just as well and be cheaper to. A lot of people here seem to not like Valvoline. I have been told to use Valvoline by a mechanic whom I respect. He works on the big Natural gas pump engines for the local water district, and builds high 11/low 12 second street drivable drag cars for a hobby, so he knows what he is doing. BTW, I asked him about Lucas and he said he knew nothing about it. Is there anything better than valvoline? something I can buy at the parts store, not a mail order place?
I change the oil and filter every 3000-4000 miles, and I use the 2 qt filter from NAPA or Wix.

Thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back