2012 Tacoma I4, First oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4 with the I4 engine is approaching 1500 miles. I am thinking 1500 would be good for the first oil change.

A few questions,

1) is there a special break-in oil in the engine from Toyota that should be not changed yet ?

2) what oil filter should I use ?

3) what oil should I use ? the manual specifies 0-w20

I'd go a bit further to about 3-4k. Let the engine break-in a bit more on this oil, and then drain it out.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd go a bit further to about 3-4k. Let the engine break-in a bit more on this oil, and then drain it out.

I agree, as the vehicle is under warranty I would use the factory filter. I believe Toyota 0w-20 is reasonably priced at the dealership.

I personally changed the oil in my '11 Corolla at 1500, 5000, 10000, and 15000. The 10000 was with the Toyota Care, but all the other oil changes were with either PYB, PU, or Mobil Clean 5000 in 5W20. I also used OEM oil filters as I have a local dealership that will sell them for $3.99, about $3 cheaper than even the Fram at WalMart.

My first oil change at 1500 did look quite glittery and I felt better about changing early. Would it have hurt the engine to stay in until 10000 like the manual stated? Perhaps not, but I come from a different school of thought. I also changed my ATF at 10000, so call me a little pretentious.

Factory fill used to come out very "loaded" when you dumped it at 500 miles.

I didnt dump the factory fill in my 2011 5.0 Mustang until 1200 miles and had to run it through a fine white cloth to tell their was anything at all in it. All I got was a minuscule amount of fine gray powder. This was non-metallic whatever it was and didnt look like dirt. Is the moly coating from rings non-metallic?

Knowing what I know now I would have run the OLM to 50% and then changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back