Delo 400LE synthetic 5w-40 ok for gas engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a pretty good price on Delo 400LE 5w-40 and want to use it my Honda (obviously a gasser ) instead of the Valvolene Synpower 5w-30 synthetic. Would this be an ok substitute ? - Thanks

5w40 is over kill for any stock Honda, its only useful in a Honda when you are burning a lot of oil, have some pretty through internal engine modification or a turbo.

Even with a turbo or N/A build, plenty of people run 5w30 in their 300whp civics and have no lucubration failures.

You can certainly run it though, I'm running HDEO in my civic right now and it performs the same and hasn't lost any MPG, so if the price is right, do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Xw40 gets used in an N/A Honda engine, it makes the engine feel like it is weighted down.

I would only use it in an engine that specifies an Xw40 oil, or is rebuilt not to factory specs.

I use the same oil in a bunch of stuff. A lawn mower 3x generators, twin cyl kohler, 1989 propane chev 350, but if an engine didnt spec it i would not especially a honda. If you honda was used alot on a track or autocross with some power adders or if it is worn maybe.

Arent those things easy on oil? Id throw some cheap dino and change it per manual. If concerned about cost. Just my 2¢

Last edited:
I'm 300 miles away from my next oil change (current fill is Delo 400LE 5w40 and next fill will be the same). My current fill will have run 5k and I plan to get a UOA to see the status of my engine since it will be my first UOA since owning it.

Many Saab owners run Rotella T-6 with excellent results, so same should be for Delo. Saabs are spec'd for 40wt though.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
I found a pretty good price on Delo 400LE 5w-40 and want to use it my Honda (obviously a gasser ) instead of the Valvolene Synpower 5w-30 synthetic. Would this be an ok substitute ? - Thanks

First of all, neither your post nor your signature gives us any indication of what kind of gasser you have (age, design, model, condition, operating parameters, fuel mileage goals, OCI plan, yada yada yada ...)

Also, you need to define what "an ok substitue" means to you ...

Will a 5w-40 HDEO syn work "well enough" in a gasser made for light oils? Sure. It will likely protect from wear, as most any decent API "S" rated oil would do as long as it's in spec for the engine.

Will a 5w-40 HDEO syn be "optimum" in a small gasser? No. The engines and lubes are designed in concert with each other. Other products "will work" but may not be "optimum". All things considered, I'm doubt Honda designed your engine with a 40 grade in mind. It may not hurt, but it's probably not "optimum".

So, the questions:
Why are you seeking a syn HDEO 40 grade? Are you (falsely) presuming that an HDEO is going to be "better" somehow?
Have you established a base-line of UOA performance, to judge how much "better" you perceived change will be?
Have you analyzed your cost basis, relative to the alternatives, to see where the ROI might lay?
Are you trying to commonize your oil stash to one lube, to reduce shelf and storage complexity? (could be a reason to do so, depending upon your fleet)

Or, are you just winging it because you think HDEOs are "better" somehow, for all applications?

Last edited:
That's the main reason. I have a diesel too .

"Are you trying to commonize your oil stash to one lube, to reduce shelf and storage complexity? (could be a reason to do so, depending upon your fleet)"

From what I see here , I will continue using the 5w-30 synthetic .

What diesel do you have?

Have you considered T5 in 10w-30? It has the same cold crank properties of 5w-40 T6, is in about every WalMart, and has a decent price. It's approved for gasser and diesel app's; hard to beat for an "all around" lube in a mixed fleet.

As I have stated elsewhere in this forum, Mobil 1 0W40 has more detergent/TBN (11.8 vs about 10) and approx. equal Zn/P compared to virtually any CJ4 HDEO. Assuming that's what you're after in running an HDEO in a Honda. And unparalleled viscometrics.

Charlie

over weight AKA viscosity rob power for sure, read oil 101-02 etc on this site, even though my 275hp modified 1.8T jetta spec 5-40 i ran 10-30 atm amsoil @ 10,000 change intervals, changed filter @ 5,000 when i started driving less-retired, until i traded in at 199,xxx, still had 20" of vac and only took oil at hi, 25 lb boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back