Lowest tachometer "red line" indicator you've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it goes in the title, what's the lowest red-line point you've seen on a car? (or truck)
I recall that the old BMW 325e motor had a redline somewhere around 4500RPM.. hahah.

On the 4.0L I-6's used in the Jeeps, I recall the redline being somewhere just under 5,000 rpm. That's the lowest I've ever personally seen. Or maybe it was right at 5,000... I can't remember.

My '95 F150 4.9L inline six didn't come with a factory tach, but knowing the power band of that engine, when I bought a tach, I got one that went only up to 4000 rpm and usually shifted by 3600 when rowing the gears. Those engines really didn't give anything above that in stock form.

The Jeep. max automatic shift at 4800, redline at 5,000, fuel cutoff at 5,300. When I drove it I usually shifted manually because it made quite a bit of power between 4800 and 5,250RPM so I would push it to help cut the 0-60 time down from 22 seconds =|

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
The longer the stroke, the lower the redline.

Not necessarily true. My cruze has a relatively long stroke not to mention very small displacement (1.4L and undersquare) but redline is still 6,500RPM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
2100 in a petetbilt

+1 lowest "red line" I have seen are in class 8 trucks

tho with HD diesels (many don't have a red line) they could run there all day if if you wanted them to.

Last edited:

Lol, not true...

The lowest I have seen is around 3k in a 24v 5.9 cummins, it was a long time ago I drove it so I'm not sure the exact #.

That thinking is 80 years old, where the "maximum piston speed" was known...we've gone way way beyond that.

My BJ42 Landcruiser was 4k
My 3.0L Nissan is 4,500

Some of the Holdens that I've owned showed 5,500 and 6,000, but with the factory cams and carbs just wouldn't get there without feeling like they would explode.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Not necessarily true. My cruze has a relatively long stroke not to mention very small displacement (1.4L and undersquare) but redline is still 6,500RPM.

Agreed, though I doubt you'll ever find a engine with a 5" stroke with a 6500 RPM redline... Few modern engines even have a 4" stroke so it's basically a moot point...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I think I remember seeing 4500 on a Fox Body Mustang. (302)

The T-Birds with basically the same bottom end were redlined at 4500, with good heads I've spun those engines to 6500 RPM+ & never had a issue...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I think I remember seeing 4500 on a Fox Body Mustang. (302)

Nope, was 5,500 or 6,000. The "yellow" started at 4,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back