5w20 vs 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Ford approved QSUD 5w20. I noticed that QSUD 0w20 was also available at the same price, but that it isn't Ford approved.

What might be the advantages and disadvantages of using the 0w20 instead of the 5w20?

Is there any disadvantage in 100f+ running temps? Any advantage during 50f starts? Any advantage during short trips?

If I was planning to run this for a year / 3k to 4k instead of the usual 6 months / 5k, would I be better off with 5w30 which has higher hths and lower noack?

Like I tell most people -- unless you are air cooled, there is no reason to run something thicker in the summer.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Like I tell most people -- unless you are air cooled, there is no reason to run something thicker in the summer.

Understood but I was wondering whether the hths and noack differences could have an impact on extending oci.

I previously used 5w30 because I happened to have it on hand. I now have the choice of buying 5w20 or 0w20.

I would like to use 0w20 due to short trips, but there are occassions where the car will see 100f temps on the highway and also in stop and go. 0w20 is not Ford approved. Is it because it is a little too thin, a little too low on hths and a little too high on noack?

The mileage on the car is low so I currently do a 1 year oci.

Will using 0w20 or even 5w20 compromise my 1 year oci seeing that Ford specify 6 months on 5w20?

With a 1 year oci, am I better off using 5w30 than 5w20? Is the 5w20 / 0w20 spec stout enough to last a year?

Here is the link to the product data sheet:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587110_201007020123.pdf

Last edited:
What MIGHT the advantages be from 0-20 from a 5-20?
OK. In the intermediate temperatures until warm up, the oil will be thinner with less drag . Better flow when starting.
I only forsee a very minor change in your ambient temps.

But that is the direction.

I run 0-20 winter and summer. Last year we had over 20 days over 100F and many others 95-100. No problems with 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I run 0-20 winter and summer. Last year we had over 20 days over 100F and many others 95-100. No problems with 10K OCI.

Thanks!

What is the manufacturer spec for your vehicle? I presume it is 5w20, but is it 5k / 6 months or 10k / 1 year?

It seems to me that if the 5W20 is Ford approved, there is no reason to use 0W20. The difference between the two oils is incremental, and since one has Ford approval then why second-guess their engineers? Just MHO.

Originally Posted By: DinoLover
dparm said:
I would like to use 0w20 due to short trips, but there are occassions where the car will see 100f temps on the highway and also in stop and go. 0w20 is not Ford approved. Is it because it is a little too thin, a little too low on hths and a little too high on noack?

Basically, 5W20 and 0W20 should have the same viscosity properties in the entire temperature range, except for freezing temperatures. 0W vs 5W only tells you have 0W oil flows better in freezing temperatures. Most manufacturers publish the kinematic viscosity of oils at 40C (consider that start up temperature in hot summer). The 5W20 and 0W20 should be about the same. Once warm enough, the 5W20 and 0W20 also should be about the same (the 100C viscosity is also provided in the data sheets). Considering that you live in California, 5W20 should be good enough unless you prefer a certain 0W20 oil for other reasons. Some manufacturers now recommend 0W20 for new cars. I think this is driven by desire to have a single recommendation for all people, those living say in Minnesota and California.

Quote:

Will using 0w20 or even 5w20 compromise my 1 year oci seeing that Ford specify 6 months on 5w20?

Only used analysis will tell with certainty. Fortunately, there are many reports for 0W20 in used oil analysis section on this web site. A lot of people don't like the 0W oils because it is believed that they don't extend as far as 5W oil. This is because 0W20 may need more viscosity improves, which may wear out with time faster.

I think car driven in 100F on the highway should have no problems with cooling engine due to good air flow. It's the city driving, specially stop and go that may cause the oil to be a bit hotter. Again, it's hard to say with certainty if you need 5W20 or 5W30. I'd pick a high quality 5W20, run 5,000 miles and send a sample for analysis.

Last edited:
5w20 and 0w20 should protect the same, since they are both 20s but the 0w20 will just be thinner at cold temps. Correct?

The one difference between 5w20 and 0w20 which may be of consequence is that 0w20 does not have to meet the TEOST 33C High Temperature Deposit requirements of ILSAC GF-5, while 5w20 does.

Whether that test is relevant to your engine is another matter.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
The one difference between 5w20 and 0w20 which may be of consequence is that 0w20 does not have to meet the TEOST 33C High Temperature Deposit requirements of ILSAC GF-5, while 5w20 does.

Are you saying 0-20 doesn't qualify to be GF-5?

Oil in water cooled engines runs substantially hotter in Summer than Winter.
This certainly does not apply only to air cooled engines.

BTW, except for motorcycles, air cooled car engines have thermostats too, you know.

Last edited:

I think he is trying to point out there is no limit on 0w-20 for GF-5's TEOST 33C test.
New to GF-5
"30 mg maximum Total Deposit Weight
Note: No TEOST 33C limit for SAE 0W-20"
GF-5 test

Originally Posted By: BullyT
It seems to me that if the 5W20 is Ford approved, there is no reason to use 0W20. The difference between the two oils is incremental, and since one has Ford approval then why second-guess their engineers? Just MHO.

Manufacturer recommendations are usually based on the "least common denominator" of the users. If you made up your mind to go with a synthetic oil, personally, I don't see many reasons not to use 0W20 instead of 5W20. Other things being equal, 5W20 and 0W20 should have about the same viscosity between 40C and 100C, but 0W20 will flow better in cold temperatures before engine fully warms up. If I lived in Midwest or some other cold place, I'd totally go with 0W oil, specially if my average trip was under 10 miles. On the other hand, if one lives in the south or southwest, 0W20 may be superfluous, even if the manufacturer recommends it. My 2c... Unfortunately, "other things" are not always equal. There exist 0W20 oils that are thicker than a given 5W20 brand when warm, and others that are thinner.

Last edited:

No, I'm saying a GF-5 0w20 doesn't have to pass the same TEOST test that a 5w20 does. Most relevant for turbo engines, but a difference between 0w20 and 5w20 none the less.

Edit: gogozy beat me to it... What he said.

Last edited:

No, I'm saying a GF-5 0w20 doesn't have to pass the same TEOST test that a 5w20 does. Most relevant for turbo engines, but a difference between 0w20 and 5w20 none the less.

Edit: gogozy beat me to it... What he said.

thanks, is it possible they left out the 0w20 in GF-5 since most turbo application will specific something thicker? I wonder this mean 0w20 is still rate at GF-4 level for this test, and I can not find the GF-4 has any exclusion for 0w20.

Some 5w20's are actually thinner at 20c than some 0w20's, so you might not be gaining anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back