Molykote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this Molykote product ? ,What was your results if any ? ----I seen it at the local truck stop as a engine oil additive
it is Extremely Expensive also

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/auto/autoengine/needs.aspx?e=What+Do+You+Need+To+Do%3f

Last edited:
snake oil.

the additives they use to prevent wear in their "test" dont work particularly well in an engine.

and PERT PLUS shampoo outperforms it in the one armed bandit test.

What product is this?
Dow Corning Molykote products i have used are top shelf greases, paste and so on for specific applications. I never saw something in a bottle to pour into the engine.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What product is this?
Dow Corning Molykote products i have used are top shelf greases, paste and so on for specific applications. I never saw something in a bottle to pour into the engine.

Also my experience - Molykote is an excellent high percentage moly paste or grease for applications what need it. Got a couple of tins of it around the shop. Never heard of anyone trying to get you to pour it into your engine, nor would I recommend it.

My bad sorry it is Motorkote ,Thanks Trav for correction and VOA

Interesting from what i understand you use a flush first then add 150ml to 5 qts/ltr oil is that correct?
I wonder how it compares to LM as the dosage is less, higher concentration maybe? Molykote makes good products so i imagine this one is right up there with the competition, strange its not sold anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Interesting from what i understand you use a flush first then add 150ml to 5 qts/ltr oil is that correct?

as far as i know there is no need to flush first. you just need to add 150ml of molykote a2 per 5L of oil every other oil change or once each 20k km.

i have heard many reports of people who ran dozens of kilometers after a oil spill without a single drop of oil in the engine and no harm was done due to the emergency lubrication property of molykote. according to them molykote is still sticked to the metal even after you drain all the engine oil.

i never tried it myself, i am just collecting data to draw a conclusion whether this product is really useful or not. i found this thread in the hope that someone else in the world has a light on it, because we Brazilians are really divided. half people loves it and half think it is a waste of money,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IgorFeghali
i have heard many reports of people who ran dozens of kilometers after a oil spill without a single drop of oil in the engine and no harm was done due to the emergency lubrication property of molykote. according to them molykote is still sticked to the metal even after you drain all the engine oil.

It's interesting how you only see this in infomercials, and that the contents of the chatter which spreads through the grapevine is akin to seeing a wounded alien run through your backyard at night. No third party test exists on this product (e.g. a university study) that confirms the alleged miraculous effects of making your engine impenetrable with MotorCroak, i.e., running it at freeway speeds without any damage. Let us see the proof. Until then, it's snake oil as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
That video is about Militec-1; how does that relate to MotorKote? All I noticed is that the "before" and "after" shots were performed with the camera being within a different proximity to the engine bay, not to mention that the audio was recorded with a consumer-grade camera. I don't notice any difference, and I don't know what the person was trying to prove who made this video.

Last edited:
Don't they still make VW Beetles in Brazil? If no longer in production, they were one of the last countries to continue manufacture of this vehicle. There must be 50-zillion VW Beetles in Brazil.

Originally Posted By: Lapithes

It's interesting how you only see this in infomercials, and that the contents of the chatter which spreads through the grapevine is akin to seeing a wounded alien run through your backyard at night. No third party test exists on this product (e.g. a university study) that confirms the alleged miraculous effects of making your engine impenetrable with MotorCroak, i.e., running it at freeway speeds without any damage. Let us see the proof. Until then, it's snake oil as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, you're talking about Molykote - an MoS2 additive. Molykote is a trade name of Dow-Corning. You are not speaking of Motorkote (abour which I know nothing).

As for Molykote / MoS2, it's been in use for a long time - from about the time of WW1. It's simply an industrial lubricant of a fairly specialized nature. World War II fighter planes used this stuff so they could make an emergency landing under power if they lost oil pressure. Look on Wikipedia for MoS2 articles. Its beneficial effects in this area - the 'plating effect' - are pretty well known. Fleet usage benefits - mostly extending the OCI - have also been studied. VW prescribed and supplied it to reduce engine heat in air cooled engines, by reducing friction. It tends to reduce oil consumption past the rings (probably related to the 'plating effect'). It is used in extruding and molding processes, including the manufacture of bullets.

What is not known (or at least not documented) is automotive fuel consumption benefits, if any, or any other benefits for consumers.

That video is about Militec-1; how does that relate to MotorKote? All I noticed is that the "before" and "after" shots were performed with the camera being within a different proximity to the engine bay, not to mention that the audio was recorded with a consumer-grade camera. I don't notice any difference, and I don't know what the person was trying to prove who made this video.

ok, let me clarify. i am not talking about motorkote, i never heard about it.

the first post of this thread asked about a molykote additive to the engine oil which someone answered there is no such thing. but it turns out that it not even do exists but it is sold in every lub shop across my country.

yes, the video is about militec 1, another engine oil additive which is completely different from molykote in its composition but is sold by the same promise: better lubrication of the engine internals.

the person who made the video was trying to prove how the oil additive can have a great impact on the background noise of the engine, possibly meaning that it improves the oil lubrication properties. the video shows a VW EA-111 engine, which is a flex-fuel engine powered by any proportion of ethanol/gas. that engine is widely known to produce extremely loud noise when running with 100% ethanol in a cold start under low temperatures - by low temperatures I mean Rio's low temperatures, i.e. 10.C is the ice age.

the following video shows the same engine operating under said circumstances (except that it was 20.C outside):

{removed youtube that was not embedded}

note the loud "tec tec" noise. the engine sounds like a sewing machine.

if you go back to the previous video now, you might be able to hear the same "tec tec" noise before the use of the additive and it will be completely gone later. you need trained ears to catch that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dave5358
Don't they still make VW Beetles in Brazil? If no longer in production, they were one of the last countries to continue manufacture of this vehicle. There must be 50-zillion VW Beetles in Brazil.

nope, we don't make beetles - which is called Fusca in here - anymore. but we still make VW Kombi up til next January, when the law will enforce all vehicles produced in Brazil to be equipped with ABS and Airbags. (un)Fortunately, there is no way to adapt such systems in the ancient platform of Kombi, so VW will finally drop its production.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Okay, you're talking about Molykote - an MoS2 additive. Molykote is a trade name of Dow-Corning.

I am talking about Molykote A2 - which is marketed as the well known Molykote composition applied as a engine oil additive - and how suspicious it came to be when I realized that it isn't sold anywhere else in the world but Brazil (and perhaps India).

ok, let me clarify. i am not talking about motorkote, i never heard about it.

the first post of this thread asked about a molykote additive to the engine oil which someone answered there is no such thing. but it turns out that it not even do exists but it is sold in every lub shop across my country.

yes, the video is about militec 1, another engine oil additive which is completely different from molykote in its composition but is sold by the same promise: better lubrication of the engine internals.

the person who made the video was trying to prove how the oil additive can have a great impact on the background noise of the engine, possibly meaning that it improves the oil lubrication properties. the video shows a VW EA-111 engine, which is a flex-fuel engine powered by any proportion of ethanol/gas. that engine is widely known to produce extremely loud noise when running with 100% ethanol in a cold start under low temperatures - by low temperatures I mean Rio's low temperatures, i.e. 10.C is the ice age.

the following video shows the same engine operating under said circumstances (except that it was 20.C outside):

note the loud "tec tec" noise. the engine sounds like a sewing machine.

if you go back to the previous video now, you might be able to hear the same "tec tec" noise before the use of the additive and it will be completely gone later. you need trained ears to catch that.

Why wouldn't it be possible to buy oil with this additive already in it; don't you think that the additive manufacturer would make millions by selling their formula to a company like Mobil?

Why wouldn't it be possible to buy oil with this additive already in it; don't you think that the additive manufacturer would make millions by selling their formula to a company like Mobil?

I don't know, maybe for the same reason why Coca-Cola doesn't sell its formula to rum manufacturers ?

Keep in mind that I am not a believer, yet. I am just trying to collect data to draw my own conclusion about whether Molykote A2 is effective or not. Raising questions regarding the business model of this product won't make it any less legitimate, though.

I don't know, maybe for the same reason why Coca-Cola doesn't sell its formula to rum manufacturers ?

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. Coca-Cola makes substantial profits by just selling their standalone beverages, and many rum producers turn a sizable yearly profit without worrying about selling a product which contains both the aforementioned premixed. Both markets are so large, that there isn't a need to tap into a tiny market of people who would buy a premixed bottle of rum and coke. Plus, how would it taste? You're comparing beverages which are for human consumption and enjoyment, to an additive product whereas the company makes unfounded claims, keeps their formula a secret which thwarts the prospect of making a lot of money, and somehow is, in one sense, technologically ahead of the oil manufacturers that have been at the cutting edge of tribology since their inception; consider the ancient Egyptians were using olive oil and animal fat to lube chariot axles. The oil manufacturers can reverse engineer any product, and formulate their oil to contain the best of the best. Why are these magical potions only available from companies peddling their products through the means of hype and by making spurious claims?

Keep in mind that I am not a believer, yet. I am just trying to collect data to draw my own conclusion about whether Molykote A2 is effective or not. Raising questions regarding the business model of this product won't make it any less legitimate, though.

When people realized they'd been duped into buying the cure-all tonic by the huckster known as William Rockefeller, he skipped town. Additive manufacturers rely on people who fall for their clever marketing scheme, and as long as this earth continues on, there will always be people who will take the bait. Just as the saying goes: "History repeats itself".

Well, I've used the Molykote A2 in my car, a Volkswagen Gol mk5 1.0 flex-fuel. I had no problems. Just do not buy because of the price, 33.00 reais (brazilian money) bottle of 200 ml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back