BG products

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Anyone have opinions on this line of products? I have not seen it mentioned in any posts. A local mechanic is very positive about it. Wondering how the engine flush compares to Neutra or Auto-Rx. I do know that you only leave the flush in for 15-20 minutes,...makes me leary.
shocked.gif
They even have a machine for the engine flush.
 -

They also have machines for transmission flushes and coolant flushes.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Just to add.....the engine flush says to leave in only 15-20 min. when done manually . I don't know how long it takes with the machine. Makes me wonder what it consists of when Auto-Rx is safer to stay in much longer.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Mavrick,

For cleaning out your high mileage Honda before converting to synthetic, I'd recommend the AutoRX. Add a bottle, along with 3.5-4.0 quarts of petroleum oil - depending on your oil capacity - and a new oil filter. Run this combination for 300 miles, then change just the filter and run the second filter for 700 additional miles.

Then do a total change and install the Mobil 1 with a premium oil filter. I'd still change out the first batch of Mobil 1 after 5000 miles and then go to the 7500 mile change intervals.

TooSlick

Well I have some anecdotal info about the BG products, especially their fuel system cleaner (44K). My Brother has worked as a mechanic for an independant garage for the last 8 years, he hates snake oil as much as I do but absoultely swears by the BG product line. His shop used the MOA and 44K daily on a wide variety of vehicles with no adverse results. The only other product they ever use is Lubeguard ATF additive. They put a bottle of lubeguard (not from BG btw) in every tranny they rebuilt. I had a persistent sticking valve in my auto tranny, put in a bottle of lubeguard, problem solved, never returned in 25K+ miles. Back to the BGT products though, I have never used MOA, I am trying AutoRX right now in my motor, with good results so far. I have used the BG products 44K many times on a variety of vehicles, I have been extremely impressed with it's cleaning ability as evidenced by marked increase in idle speed and quality on several fuel injected vehicles. I think it is probably the best think out there short of having your injectors rebuilt/cleaned/balanced. I have never tried Neutra 131 or aoutorx as fuel system cleaners though. I have used chevron techron with good results but I still believe BG 44K to be the best fuel system cleaner available. Thats my $.02 FWIW.

You are correct - not much coverage here.

I believe the engine flush is solvent based.

I can only speak for the BG 44K (Fuel System Cleaner) - In the Volvo world this is da kine bon jour - even the dump in the tank kind is good.

Same low press coverage here as LubeGard. Good products, good reputation with the "Pro's", some with similar chemistries (Lubegard - plant derived liquid wax esters......AutoRx - naturally derived esters....) Yet they get very little chat here. Why? The folks that know the products aren't hanging here!

Our servicing dealership put BG 44k in my mother's 960 which was running very roughly at about 80,000 miles. Problem solved!

Frakentoyota,

DONOT---- use the Auto-Rx in your fuel system. It is for the Crankcase, transmission or diff. ONLY.

Vettman, thanks but I'm not, I am using in my crankcase. I recently had my injectors rebuilt/balanced so I don't need anything in there. I thought (incorrectly) that I read somewhere on the board that autorx could be used in fuel system. I know neutra is dual purpose and was making invalid connections between the two.

In my view, the only difference among long-term engine cleaners and engine flushes is the concentration or treatment rate of the product itself.

Some people (like myself) prefer fast engine cleaning so I use either LC or Neutra in high concentrations as a "flush." My reasoning is that I want fast cleaning, minimum additive clash, minimum exposure time in the engine, and I want to rid the engine of any gunk as fast as possible, and then change oil and filters.

Other people prefer long-term cleaners that remove carbon and sludge build-up over time. And that's cool, too!

BG has different products all of which have a hard earned good rep.

The BG44k Injector rail flush apparently works very well.
The active ingredient is same as in techron, except muxch higher concentration.
I have been told from a source I respect, chevron licenses the use of that compound FROM (not TO) BG.

BG MOA (or product 111) is primarily zinc plus detergent.

A great additive a an oil that's low in both (sucha s MOBIL1), the only oil aditive I would ever use.

At least some (if not all) Infinti dealerships use BG MOA w/ oil changes in their warrantied customer vehicles.

Fred...
smile.gif

"I believe the engine flush is solvent based."

All engine flushes and cleaners have some type of solvent or solvents, be it hydrocarbon derivatives, synthetic hydrocarbons, or concentrations of organic or natural esters.

[ November 28, 2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

MolaKule, fast cleaning will work well if you know for sure the engine is only slightly dirty inside, but what if it's really messed up? In that case I'd prefer it be cleaned slowly so that no oil passages get clogged with big chunks of sludge (not to be confused with big chunks of fudge)
smile.gif

On a bad motor my thoughts are start with a slower clean and follow-up with a quick clean to be sure. Is this correct thinking?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
On a bad motor my thoughts are start with a slower clean and follow-up with a quick clean to be sure. Is this correct thinking?

Your thinking is correct imo
smile.gif

How would BG 44K (the in the tank one)compare to Amsoil's PI Performance Improver? I noticed that the BG 44K is roughly double the cost of the Amsoil. Should the products work similar or is the BG that much better at removing deposits?

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:
How would BG 44K (the in the tank one)compare to Amsoil's PI Performance Improver? I noticed that the BG 44K is roughly double the cost of the Amsoil. Should the products work similar or is the BG that much better at removing deposits?

I dont know the AMSOIL product.
All I can say is that BG44k is generally acknowledged by some of the most experienced techs, and some of the best shops to be the product to use.
In my enthusiast communtity (Infiniti) some of us drive far or spend days scouring towns for BG44k products.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:

Note that Amsoil's 6 oz. bottle of PI only treats 10 to 15 gallons of gasoline, so you'll need two of these for a large tank.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
All I can say is that BG44k is generally acknowledged by some of the most experienced techs, and some of the best shops to be the product to use.
In my enthusiast communtity (Infiniti) some of us drive far or spend days scouring towns for BG44k products.

Fred...
smile.gif

I have only heard good things about the BG product, never anything bad. I'm curious if Amsoil's PI Improver can hold a candle to it or if it is one of their products that isn't so hot. I guess it's such a small market, there aren't that many people out there who have used it.

I used the BG "Quick Clean"engine flush today,
followed by m1 Filter (oversize) and M1 5w-30.
I left the flush in for the full 15 minutes and was rather unimpressed at that point to still see varnish on the inside walls of the valve cover.
confused.gif
I hope it did better internally. If the M1 does not help with the slight "clattering" sound I get at startup,I will try Redline for the added moly to see if it helps. Also added a can of BG 44k to the gas tank. No real driveability problems but just as a maintenance thing. $15 per can of treatment for both treatments.

Also put in a magnetic drain plug. We'll see how this all plays out...
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back