Cure for a ticking lifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has an older Dodge Caravan. I need more details, but I think that it's the four with lots of miles on it. It sounds like a lifter is sticking. Also, she's having automatic transmission troubles about which I need to get more info. And, she can't spend more than absolutely necessary.

So, what works for sticky lifters in these engines? What routine should I follow? What additional info do I need? Any simple transmissions fixes for these vans?

Ken

Ticky - Ticky: Neutra and LC might help as well.

Regarding the Transmisssion: You might change the fluid and add LubeGuard.

[ November 26, 2002, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

You can try the chemical tranny remedy and it might work, but I'm from Detroit and a lot of my friends work for DaimlerChrysler and they'll be the first to admit that those minivan trannies typically last about 110,000 miles. Best bet in that case is probably to buy a pre-built rebuild from some national supplier with a good warrantee.

Luck,
Robert

Ditto Robert, plus one of the main failure causes of the electronic trans (if this van is a 4Cyl it doesn't have it) is using dexron in it, even if the dipstick says you can.

I agree with ya fella's. Any time a transmission starts acting up, it's on it's way out, especially in a dodge van. But point here is, that as a last ditch effort, if you were to use say the neutra 131 in it, run it, then drain and put new oil in, it may just by chance take care of it, but anytime you mess with changing the oil after problem arises, you need to be sure to have enough money for the rebuild as it many times will clean the clutches where the friction is only working due to the particles left in the oil and once changed, it will allow no friction if the clutches are shot.

Myself, I wouln't hesitate to try the stuff, or maybe even seafoam from what others say is good. Anyway you look at it, nothing gained nothing lost.

As for the lifter noise, no if's but's about it, the neutra 131 works really well on that. Most times it's dirty,sticking and neutra more times than not has cleared that problem. Another point is that if your using too thick of an oil, it too can cause this kind of problem.

[ November 27, 2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I have heard many of these Dodge Caravans making engine noise while running at stoplites ,parking lots.
They must have a design problem or poor oil change practices
shocked.gif

My dads 1990 Nissan Pathfinder (130k miles) with the 3.0L V6 has a real bad ticking sound on startup and a few minutes afterwards that we think is a lifter.

He currently runs Mobil 1 in it.

I am thinking Neutra 131 might help, but I am not sure.

My Dad's '94 Mercury Grand Marquis had a bad stuck lifter. You could hear it from more than 50' away.

You know what he did? He changed the oil. That's it. It went away immediately. Despite the noise, I guess it really wasn't that bad after all.
wink.gif

I've also talked to an Integra driver who used CD-2 valve detergent. He put this in, drove the car for 500-1,000 miles (I think) and then changed the oil. Ticking lifter went away. Oh, and he used Mobil 1 as well.
rolleyes.gif

yea! on my old cadillac i had 2 years ago, it had a BAD lifter knock or whatever.... 2 bottles of that yellow bottle cd-2 oil detergent took it away!

2 auto-rx treatments or a good flush will at least help the tick. You may have to go a heavier oil afterward to stop it all together. I know someone who used 10w30 dino oil (not sure which brand) and a quart of Lucas and it stopped a lifter tick in his 305 Z28.

Jason

I replaced the lifters in a Ford 302 once. It only took me a few hours.

I suppose that's harder than adding 'Magic in Can' to your oil, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back