suzuki gz 250...???'s @ oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just traded my scooter on a 2009 Suzuki GZ250 w/ @ 1000 miles; the dealer did a complimentary service using Spectro 10w-40 conventional mc oil, so I am good to go for a while; this is an air-cooled single cylinder engine that uses a shared sump system...should I treat it the same as my Yamaha V Star 650 which is also air-cooled & shared sump (as far as using an oil with a beefy add pack or thicker 20w-50 oil)? thanks...

Last edited:
I'm running Rotella 15w 40 in my gz 250. I can tell when it shears as the shift gets notchy going into first around 3000miles. I am going to try amsoil 10w 40. Seems to do fine with 40wt.

Last edited:
I have a Yamaha Virago 250 and in the summer I always ran a 20w50 motorcycle oil. In the cooler weather I ran the 15w40 HDEO.

Same oil as your 650.

In an air cooled engine, I prefer a 20W-50 or 15W-50 when the weather is generally over 80.

Hard to say if you should treat it like your 650 if you don't tell us what oil you use exactly in your 650 :)

Generally, yes, you can treat them the same. Depending on what you have in the V-Star, though, the oil may be over-kill. As others have already said, I'd use Rotella, 15w40, or 5w40 Rotella T6 if you're feeling saucy, unless you have a lot of the other oil or it simplifies your life or something.

Pretty solid reliable motor, no need to overthink the oil choice, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back