How many of you test gas for ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you do the gas/water mix to test for ethanol.
And what results so far?

My recent test indicated 100% gas in BP regular. A year ago, chevron tested 100% gas in regular but ethanol in premium.

I've never tested. I've heard about the test kits but was never sure on where to buy them. Aren't they like 10 bucks or something?

Did you use the commercial E10 test kit, or just add fuel to an oz of dyed, distilled H-O-H and calc the (cc)level change % ? Glad to hear talk about this - I suspect a local "no-name" is selling E0.

Here, ethanol over 1% requires a pump label. Gasoline without ethanol is no longer available in my area.

I don't test the blend percentage.

I sometimes check out the fuel quality reports that my state publishes on the dept of weight and measures website. Ethanol content is one area they test for.

California gas has ethanol. It supposedly replaced the MTBE.

I don't have to test the fuel. My [censored] fuel mileage tells me ethanol is in the fuel, but it would be nice to do just to see the percentage.

There was a commercial site, mentioned here.........some fuel testers dot com or something that sell a kit to tell you what % is alcohol......but yes. Seems like a lot of work......sooo....you go and do the test.....what can you really do about it? Not much....the gas station tenant isn't gonna care that your internet test kit says they have more alcohol than posted......

The state mgr of weights and measures MAY care......but you gotta find the right tree to bark up
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
sooo....you go and do the test.....what can you really do about it? Not much....the gas station tenant isn't gonna care that your internet test kit says they have more alcohol than posted......

That is not the point. Every pump in my state has the "up to 10% ethanol" sticker. Yet, 2 different brands I tasted had no measurable ethanol in regular grade. Food for thought.

Very interesting
wink.gif
But.....do you notice any "performance" difference from the brand with no measurable ethanol, and the one that IS ethanol-laced?

Kind of funny, cause I went to the pure gas site, and apparantly there are 2 locations locally that have ethanol free.....I did call them up and they are a bit higher priced (likely due to the fact that they do not get the "ethanol credit") - they are "mom and pop" type places.....the one closest to me caters to fisherman/boaters, with a bait and tackle shop, as well as a smallish indy mechanic in-house around back....

But yea, they told me they are at 4.10/gallon for ethanol.....tempted to give a couple tanks a shot, to see if there IS any "noticable" difference in my 88 Dodge Aries
wink.gif
Which, was designed for e-0, at least from what I understand....did they have ethanol laced fuel in 88? I know this takes unleaded......unlike my mother's 71 Volks Beetle
wink.gif

I used pure-gas.org to find an ethanol free gas station near me. The nearest one is 17 miles away. So on Saturday mornings, early, I load 4 each 5 gallon cans in my truck, drive there, fill up the cans and my truck with it. I have been doing it for 4 tankfuls now. The difference is astounding. The truck runs smoother at idle, has much better low end torque and throttle response, and my mileage has increased approx 3mpg in normal driving conditions.

I take the extra cans for mid week fillups.

Oh, and my lawn mower really loves the stuff. It too runs much smoother.

I told the CFO of our company about this, and he took his 530i to the same station and filled up. Within 100 miles, his MPG computer display was showing a 10% increase in MPG. He is sold.

I've tested a couple of the 93 octane gas at stations around me that say "contains 10% ethanol", which showed 3%, and "contains up to 10% ethanol, which showed 5%. I now buy from the station that tested at 3%. I tested another station's regular gas that said "up to 10%" and it was 7% ethanol. Luckily, there is a station close by that sells non-ethanol regular anyway.

Well, I'm supposed to be able to get ethanol free gas on a trip tomorrow.

Will report back! ...no testing for ethanol however.
33.gif

There is a no-brand station near a popular public boat lunch that has regular 87 @ $3.49 and "100% gasoline" @ $4.09.
I'm tempted to buy both and get it tested. I would not be surprised if there was no difference.

Hey jacek -

I would love to use "real" gasoline again but the closest advertised non alcoholic brew is 150 miles away. I have not tested any locally to determine content. You already know my feelings about Valero.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
.did they have ethanol laced fuel in 88?

Yes, it's been available in the midwest since at least the early 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back