Want to get back into riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right forum, so here goes. Years ago I got my learner's permit. My dad has a '72 Honda CL100 with an unusual Suitcase Cycle mod, but he hardly ever rides it. I rode it for one summer, but failed my ridden test. It was ironic, actually. I show up to take the test on this little 180 pound bike with other folks riding Harleys and other large bikes. They all look at me, and one person says "You've got the perfect bike for taking the test, light and maneuverable!". Yeah, but when the pavement is wet, the tires are skinny, and it slips out from underneath you trying to negotiate a tight corner, it's automatic fail.

So some friends of mine are riders and are encouraging me to get back into it. I went so far as finding out that there are motorcycle classes that include use of a bike. One of my friends let me straddle his Honda VTX-1300, and I was surprised that it felt lighter than I expected. I probably would not get one that big. I recall that the CL100 was severely underpowered and could barely do 55MPH on level road, not cool when I had to ride on the highway to get to the exam station. I think if I could pick any bike, I like the looks of the Yamaha V-star 950. Seems like that would still have plenty of power if I had to go on the highway, but I live close to work and would still be great for commuting. A V-star 250 is nice too, but it also seems like that would be underpowered.

Any thoughts or tips? I know I'd have to start over with getting a learner's permit again, and I'm leaning toward taking the motorcycle safety course.

You should be able to take a Motorcycle Safety Fundamentals class through a dealer or a tech school. In WI, at least, passing that class gets you a license without the test but more importantly it teaches you to be safe.

A 250 is as small as I would go on the road. There are just tons of great bikes.

Best of luck.

You should definitely take the MSF class. Among other things, they'll teach you exactly what you need to do to pass the riding test, or at least the one I took did that (Ride Chicago).

As for bike sizes, I guess it depends on the level of experience/comfort as well as how big you are and what kind of riding you'll be doing. When I started out, I bought a 250cc Suzuki GZ250. I only had it for about half a year before I upgraded, but I'm glad I took that route. It helped me immensely to build confidence without getting myself into trouble. With that said, the GZ250 had no problem maintaining 65-70 mph on the hwy, but I only weigh 150 lbs. However, accelerating from that speed was difficult, and you want to have some spare power to be able to quickly get out of harm's way if need be. The V-Star 250 is actually a bit more peppy than the GZ250, FWIW. People frequently install different front/rear sprockets on it to lower the rpms for better hwy cruising. But if you're big and tall, something like the V-Star 250 will probably be too cramped for you, especially on longer rides. It'd be a great bike to take the riding test on though.

The V-Star 950 you mentioned is a nice bike.

I took the MSF course. It was great. Highly recommended. I'd suggest avoiding the 250 bikes just because you'll end up buying a larger one immediately. 650 is a good start, but I bought my 1100 right off with no problems. Get something you'll be confident riding. You might want to find something used to start with.

I'll give a plug to BMW air-cooled bikes (R series). They're ultra-reliable, very user-friendly and forgiving, and you can use standard automotive motor oils because they have a dry clutch and separate sump for the gearbox. I really appreciate the easy maintenance of the shaft drive; just a pint of gear oil every other year. There's a guy on the ADV Rider forum that has 400,000+ miles on his with just regular service. He's used Mobil 1 15w-50 every 5,000 miles. My local WM has 5-quart jugs now for $26.

You might "test sit" a Kawasaki Ninja 650. It is a nice performing bike and very versatile. It DOES NOT have that wrist heavy "crotch rocket" position that you would expect in a "NINJA".

You can get a Used NINJA 250 cheap and see if you enjoy riding. So many people buy one of these little jewels and then never ride them...or buy one and trade up to a big bike after 200 miles on the little NINJA. Surely I was ready for a 1200cc bike after my first 200miles.....NOT!

As mentioned, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course is worth your time for sure.

As for bikes, there are plenty of options. Besides the 650 Ninja there is the 650 Versys (also Kawi) that uses the same engine but is even more upright. Then there's the KLR 650, the Suzi V-strom 650, Yamaha is making some smaller dual sport bikes now too.

I got away from cruisers a few years back, they just seem limited to me. My KLR can go just about anywhere there is a trail and does OK on the highway as well but I won't run it on Interstates.

Twin STD for the highway or small inline 4 rocket (400 FZR yami) for around towne. Most bikes are WAY overpowered and are no fun off track.

If you like the Yamaha 950 then take a look at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It comes in several different styles and is lighter and more nimble than the Yamaha 950.

The 250's are nice but I think that you'll soon find that you've outgrown it.

Kawasaki made a nice Vulcan 500 that came with a six speed transmission and there are some good, used ones out there. It actually has the same horsepower as the Honda 750 Shadow.

I would try to find a good used bike. Maybe something with a little road rash but in good mechanical condition. Something inexpensive.

Dave, yes, do take the basic riders course.
http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

Understand that this course packs a LOT into 16 hours, and at that only scratches the surface. Completion of the course is actually only your permission to continue to learn without supervision.

You only mention cruiser style motorcycles. Nothing wrong with cruisers if those are your preference, but there are several other basic styles. Go to a large dealership and just sit on bikes. See which fit you best ergonomically and which just feel best to you. Your height, leg length, and arm length all matter, as well as your weight. The Yamaha V-Star line is OK--Suzuki's 650 cc (40 cu. in.) starter cruiser is probably a better bike than Yamaha's 650 starter cruiser, but the Suzuki C50 isn't very good. All the manufacturers make some that are quite good and some that are just OK. No 250 is a good highway bike. A 650 is better for that. The cruisers typically have a low power engine for the size...the Suzuki S40 650 cc cruiser has 31 hp, and my Suzuki V-Strom adventure touring 650 has 68 hp. In a 250 street bike, the Suzuki TU250X is a sweet ride, but hard to find a used one at a low price.

And, buy used. Don't plan on buying the bike you'll get old with yet. Buy small, buy cheap, and upgrade as soon as you outgrow it. A smaller, lighter bike is easier to ride.

Resources:
David L Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling...get a recent version, the most recent is due out in July.
http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I

See if you can borrow a copy of Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist - II, maybe through an interlibrary loan from your local public library, for his excellent writing about "Survival Reactions" that are natural, instinctive, and WRONG. ISBN-13: 978-0965045025

Good info on this web site; I don't know about his books:
http://www.msgroup.org/default.aspx

Originally Posted By: ammolab
You might "test sit" a Kawasaki Ninja 650. It is a nice performing bike and very versatile. It DOES NOT have that wrist heavy "crotch rocket" position that you would expect in a "NINJA".

You can get a Used NINJA 250 cheap and see if you enjoy riding. So many people buy one of these little jewels and then never ride them...or buy one and trade up to a big bike after 200 miles on the little NINJA. Surely I was ready for a 1200cc bike after my first 200miles.....NOT!

Agreed. My moderately Modified 2005 Yamaha YZF R1 is my track day weapon and back road bashing with the boys toy..

My 2004 Kawaski 250R Ninja thats all but Bone stock minus a set of Molded nylon saddlebag is my summertime "milemaker". I keep the miles off my truck driving that little bike back and forth to work in the summer (9 miles each way). This little bike is easy on tires,real easy on gas, and cheap on insurance.
Yeah sure, i get poked at once in awhile for riding a little bike to work... I offer to race whoever is doing the poking.. even for a 250, with a little clutch work theres not many twins in the parking lot that can beat me to 60MPH and the little ninja tops out around 92-100mph depending.. Ive got close to 9,000 miles on mine and plan to keep running it !

I actually raced a buddy with a FJR 1300 (he was newer to riding) and i just killed him off the line and up to about 75mph, when he went wizzing by.. i still tease him about that one

I started with a Virago 250, putting about 6k miles on it before I upgraded to my Triumph 865cc Speedmaster. I would say take a look at the Triumph America and Speedmasters if you want something that is comfy, and a little different.

As for the Japanese cruisers, I am a fan of the Yamaha's also. The V star 650 is a bullet proof cruiser that was made for 12 years and while not the fastest thing, they are all over on the used market for a great price.

I will say that I looked at the Kawasaki 900 Customs and just did not like them at all. I much prefered the Vstars. But to each his own. Sit on many and buy what fits you well.

I'll chime in on this...I took the PA version of the MSF last year and found it challenging, informative, fun, and helpful; I have been all over the radar as far as rides...started with a 2009 Piaggio BV 250 scooter (thought it was the be all-end all for me); added a 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 100 scoot...traded both on a 2011 Vespa LX 150 (spilt the difference), but I realized the more I rode that I needed a motorcycle, so I traded it on a 2008 Buell Blast;

I also craved a scoot so I added a 2009 Genuine Rattler 110, but missed the feel of the Vespa so I traded that on a 2009 Genuine Buddy 125; after getting shaken to death on the Buell I snagged a 2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic before it got auctioned...the best decision I made thusfar; due to deteriorated road conditions and haveing tofix several things on the Buddy, I reluctantly made the decision to trade my scoot on a small motorcycle for buzzing around...a 2009 Suzuki GZ250;

I have the V Star for local cruising and longer rides, such as charity rides and poker runs; I use the GZ250 for shorter local rides and commuting to work; even though I miss the practicality and ease of riding on a scooter, adding a 2nd motorcycle is more prudent since the wheel size and better suspension can handle bad roads better...

Last edited:
I had a VStar 650 and liked it. I weigh 210 and am 6'3. The bike was pretty comfortable and good on gas, as well as very reliable and easy to do maintenance on. I rode it for a year and a half. As long as you are good with 70-75mph cruising speeds it is really a perfectly adequate bike. It will go faster, but the vibration gets pretty excessive. I had an '05 Silverado, which was nice with the luggage, shield and floorboards. It is a good bike, but not a LITTLE bike despited the little engine. It is a big frame/little engine.

Thanks all for the info. I'm looking into the MSF course. One of my friends also saw that successfully completing the MSF course could qualify for passing the ridden test. Might just see about getting a permit and a new helmet in the near future, and see when the next course is available.

Have to chime in and say owners rave about the new Suzuki TU250, which is more of a standard motorcycle than the older GZ250, and goes a bit quicker too. They are popular enough that if you want to sell it eventually you will be able to do so at a decent price. My vote is stay under 500 lbs. on any bike, but particularly a learner. Besides, you don't really know what you want, so spend less to get something smaller, lighter, and easier to learn on. Move up later.

I was going to start out on a small bike, like a 250-350 class figuring that would be a good start, but several of my friends say to get a mid size because I'd be upgrading or wanting too after a few months. So I ended up getting 2 bikes to start, a 650 and a 750 figuring I'd be good a year or two. Within a year I bought a 1200 Harley Sportster (modded), then withing 2 years moved up (Ultra) - but I still have that 1200 from back then and saved the 750 for the wife. I don't ride the 1200 often but when I do, find it fun, easy, so I guess I keep on hanging on to it.
From the way I am, I should have started with the 1200 but that might not work best for others.

Well engine size is not everything. I mean an 883 Sportster is a WEAK engine and at about 45hp (the Iron 883 I tested was a very timid bike), it has about the power of the 500 Vulcan according to what I read and by butt dyno. Difference is if you buy new, a Harley will hold its resale value better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back