4 Quarts Synthetic + 2 Quarts Lucas in Jeep 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my Jeep 4.0 ... just to clarify

So I was hanging out at the local WalMart TLE on Sunday waiting to get a set of tires balanced / mounted. (Yeah ... I know I shouldn't go there but it was my only free day and I needed them mounted in a hurry).

A guy comes in with a 2000 Grand Cherokee and asks for a synthetic oil change. Instead of going with 6 quarts of oil he has 2 quarts of Lucas and 4 quarts of synthetic.

Total price for the oil change? $80 ...

Isn't running that much Lucas going to hurt more than it's going to help?

Last edited:
To clarify, if it cost him $80, I assume he purchased the oil there and didn't provide it himself? He specifically asked for four quarts of one and two of the other? That makes no sense at all, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

Maybe he's been doing that for quite some time? I dunno

What type/weight oil did they use? You prob wouldn't know this I suppose.

I'm surprised they even did that. Seems like it could be a liability.

For $80, you could get Red Line, a Purolator Synthetic filter, and do it yourself.

Since it is a 2000, I bet it has low oil pressure. The 2000 and 2001 4.0Ls had the 0331 head casting which has a problem with cracking. Some crack and some don't, but when it cracks coolant gets in the oil and destroys the bearings. He probably needs the Lucas to have oil pressure. He is an idiot though. That $80 he spent on Lucas and oil could be used to fund a used engine.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
To clarify, if it cost him $80, I assume he purchased the oil there and didn't provide it himself? He specifically asked for four quarts of one and two of the other? That makes no sense at all, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

He had them provide the oil, correct. Yep ... he asked for it himself.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'm surprised they even did that. Seems like it could be a liability.

For $80, you could get Red Line, a Purolator Synthetic filter, and do it yourself.

Aye - usually places like that won't do anything other than the manufacture recommends. I couldn't even get a ONE SIZE DIFFERENT tire mounted on a wheel at one walmart.

$80 is a lot of money for an oil change every 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Since it is a 2000, I bet it has low oil pressure. The 2000 and 2001 4.0Ls had the 0331 head casting which has a problem with cracking. Some crack and some don't, but when it cracks coolant gets in the oil and destroys the bearings. He probably needs the Lucas to have oil pressure. He is an idiot though. That $80 he spent on Lucas and oil could be used to fund a used engine.

Fingers crossed, knocking on wood, my 4.0 hasn't cracked its head yet. At 120k miles I have about 25PSI hot idle. I was thinking that maybe the bearings were toast from a cracked head or maybe it knocks from a broken piston skirt and the heavy oil quiets it down?

Hot 25 psi is fine, I don't see any impending doom there, and I don't believe a cracked skirt will get quiet, ever, once it's gone. I think the bad heads were mostly 2000-01 Cherokees, not sure where yours falls, and the chronic bad piston skirts were 99-01 WJ's and TJ's I believe.

I sure don't understand the other guys logic though, synthetic with Lucas? What a waste of money...if his bearings are toast and he needs to boost pressures I'd think a DIY change of cheap 20w50 would be just as effective for about $20.

To the OP why did you not pass him a note stating that he is wasting $$$ and not refer him to here. Maybe he actually believes this is the best way to protect his engine.

Mine is a 2000 Cherokee. I did have a coolant leak for a while - luckily it was the water pump leaking. I think all 4.0s had problems with piston skirts for a preiod of 2 or 3 years until around 02 or so. Then it was the cam sensor going dry and killing the camshaft.

The dude was about 7 foot tall and pretty big. I'm not suggesting anything to anyone much larger than myself.

Last edited:
That is the perfect guy to suggest something too. Often people that big are feared by the masses and if you talk and suggest something to them it is appreciated "often this is the case if you are going save anyone money" because strangers are scared to death to talk to them. But if you feared someone that big I would not post about them on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back