Vinylex reviews? Anyone use it?

I bought some Vinylex a couple months ago to try out. The thing that caught my attention was that it says it replenishes the plsticizers in plastic trim and keeps it from cracking or becoming brittle. After a couple months it seems to work well and there was still a nice coating all over the inside of the car. The weather stripping seems to like it too and it stays put and lasts.
What do you guys think of Vinylex?

Pretty good stuff and available OTC. If you can get a hold of some 303 aerospace protectant either online or in a Marine/RV store grab it. Less shine and great a protecting everything from dash to leather seats (it is approved for leather.)

I prefer it to any of the other protectant sprays out there. Vinylex leaves the dashboard clean with only a slight matte sheen, like the way it was when new. Most of the others (Armor All, et al.) leave everything mirror-shiny with a very greasy feel.

It also works nicely on door seals before winter!

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I prefer it to any of the other protectant sprays out there. Vinylex leaves the dashboard clean with only a slight matte sheen, like the way it was when new. Most of the others (Armor All, et al.) leave everything mirror-shiny with a very greasy feel.

Interesting. In my experience, it is Vinylex that's way too shiny, unless they've changed the formulation in recent years. I much prefer 303.

Good stuff but it was too "shiny" for me.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant now. Almost a totally matte finish so it doesn't look like you coated the interior with something. I also use it around the house and even on exterior trim parts.

dash_comparison.jpg

Eagle One. There's a product that basically does nothing in my experience. I'd swear it's 99% water after using it.

The plasticizer part is of interest. Ive found with both it and 303, a lot ends up on the glass as a smeary residue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The plasticizer part is of interest. Ive found with both it and 303, a lot ends up on the glass as a smeary residue.

Try spraying 303 on your applicator pad or cloth instead of the dash. Also, try a good ammonia FREE glass cleaner (Sprayaway, Invisible glass, just NOT Windex) to clean off the residue. Might take a few hits to clean off the residue.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interesting. In my experience, it is Vinylex that's way too shiny, unless they've changed the formulation in recent years. I much prefer 303.

303 definitely gives a more matte finish than Vinylex, but it's far more matte than Armor-All.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Try spraying 303 on your applicator pad or cloth instead of the dash. Also, try a good ammonia FREE glass cleaner (Sprayaway, Invisible glass, just NOT Windex) to clean off the residue. Might take a few hits to clean off the residue.

What also helps is wiping the area with a clean dry cloth a few minutes after 303 was applied. This removes any excess 303, helps further reduce shine, and minimizes off-gassing.

I have used 303 for many years and decided to try the Vinylex. So far I like it. I can't say for sure but I have had some cracks form in older cars hard plastic trim, not the soft/padded type of trim. A 1997 Tahoe I had the trim around the rear glass/piller area creacked a little and the trim at the corner or the passenger door cracked. I used 303 on it for yest so I hope the 303 did not cause the crackes to form. I did not notice any other problems and I currently have a 1007 GMC Sierra with very similer interior trim. I have used 303 on it for a while and have no cracks anywhere.
I'm going to use the Vinylex since it says it keeps plastic from cracking and drying out by replacing the plasticizers in the materials.
Any thoughts on if 303 does the same by replacing plasticizers or if it can cause cracking or drying over time?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have used 303 for many years and decided to try the Vinylex. So far I like it. I can't say for sure but I have had some cracks form in older cars hard plastic trim, not the soft/padded type of trim. A 1997 Tahoe I had the trim around the rear glass/piller area creacked a little and the trim at the corner or the passenger door cracked. I used 303 on it for yest so I hope the 303 did not cause the crackes to form. I did not notice any other problems and I currently have a 1007 GMC Sierra with very similer interior trim. I have used 303 on it for a while and have no cracks anywhere.
I'm going to use the Vinylex since it says it keeps plastic from cracking and drying out by replacing the plasticizers in the materials.
Any thoughts on if 303 does the same by replacing plasticizers or if it can cause cracking or drying over time?

Only silicone based dressings will cause cracking and fading overtime. The vast majority (including newer Amorall) are water based. This can be different for tire shines but any good OTC dash dressing will not cause cracking or fading.

Last edited:

Only silicone based dressings will cause cracking and fading overtime. The vast majority (including newer Amorall) are water based. This can be different for tire shines but any good OTC dash dressing will not cause cracking or fading.

What about silicon for weather strip protection and conditioning? I have read it is good for rubber seals?

What about silicon for weather strip protection and conditioning? I have read it is good for rubber seals?

Silicone is great for moisturizing rubber seals but it is the water repellant that causes rubber seals to crack and fade in this case. If you are going to use it I would spray it on a towel and apply. That way these is only a small amount being applied versus spraying directly on the seals. I would try 303 on rubber seals as it it will moisturize better then silicone based lubricants and it wont dry them out over time. I apply a light coating every few months and they look great. 303 is perfect for just about everything in your car except for glass and carpet haha

Silicone is great for moisturizing rubber seals but it is the water repellant that causes rubber seals to crack and fade in this case. If you are going to use it I would spray it on a towel and apply. That way these is only a small amount being applied versus spraying directly on the seals. I would try 303 on rubber seals as it it will moisturize better then silicone based lubricants and it wont dry them out over time. I apply a light coating every few months and they look great. 303 is perfect for just about everything in your car except for glass and carpet haha

What do you think about Vinylex compaired to 303?

Back