Lubegard Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any comments on the quality or usefulness of this product? Can a Dexron III transmission get a benefit from an additive that is a "friction modifier"? Are Mercon V qualified products bad for a Dexron III transmission?

As you can see I'm very confused on what if anything I should add to my Camry transmission oil.

quote:

LUBEGARD® PLATINUM
Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
LUBEGARD® PLATINUM is a Time, Space and Money saver which eliminates the confusion of multiple ATF applications. Simply use with any required ATF (with the exception of Ford® Type F ATF, and only for use in CVT's that require Dexron ATF). Also use to enhance Dexron®/Mercon® ATF to perform like a Mercon® V ATF or a Highly Friction Modified ATF.

LUBEGARD® PLATINUM Universal ATF Protectant is uniquely formulated using the patented synthetic LXE® (liquid wax ester) Technology and new synthetic Synergol®, TMS Technology. Together these technologies provide the most advanced and complete transmission fluid performance additive ever invented.

Synergol TMS is the first non-active, low-phosphorous-based, surface molecule. Which, when added to existing ATF's, drastically reduces wear on parts and metal surfaces. It makes all ATF's work at their optimum, improving the surface layer's performance in all components, which is why it will work in all ATF applications. In fact, Synergol's lubricant performance will extend far beyond normal fluid life. Since Synergol is not consumed its effectiveness increases over time, providing continuous protection to all internal parts of the transmission.

Liquid Wax Esters (LXE's) have a molecular structure that allows unsurpassed transfer of heat making the technology the most heat stable product ever sold. The Liquid Wax Esters themselves are so heat stable they out perform the nearest competitors products by over 100 Degrees Fahrenheit! LXE's exceptional lubricity (wetting agent) and heat resistance is why the Lubegard ATF Protectant with LXE is Used, Endorsed, Designated and Approved by multiple OEM's as well as by professional rebuild technicians around the world.

LUBEGARD® PLATINUM Benefits:
For use with any ATF, such as OEM types and Dexron/Mercon ATF's (with the exception of Ford Type F ATF).
Enhances Dexron/Mercron ATF to perform like Mercon V ATF's.
Enhances Dexron/Mercon ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:
Honda Premium Formula ATF
Toyota Type T/TII/TIV
Chrysler Mopar ATF + 3(7176) & Mopar ATF + 4(9602)
And all other highly friction modified ATF's

Prevents overheating
Inhibits fluid oxidation and foaming.
Instantly eliminates torque converter shudders and clutch pack chatters & shudders.
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components.
Ensures proper shifts.
Frees stuck valves & keeps them free.
Will not alter the crucial phosphorous or sulfur balance in your transmission fluid.
Will not harm yellow metals.
Ash Free.
Extends fluid change intervals.

Dexron® III, Mercon® & Mercon® V ATF Cycling Test
Objective of the Cycling Test: This standardized OEM procedure accurately simulates standard performance in a normally functioning automatic transmission under severe driving conditions. The test objective is to determine frictional characteristic retention, metal wear, oxidation stability and service life of the lubricant.

Test Parameters: The test fixture composed of a certified 4L60E automatic transmission driven by a V-8 engine. All aspects of this cyclic test are monitored. Transmission fluid is maintained at 275°F (135° C). Twenty thousand accelerations through the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts are performed and must stay within a specific shift time. Fluid fails when shift time is out of specification or fails before 20,000 cycles.

Directions For Use:
For normal applications, add 1 ounce per quart of ATF to the total transmission capacity with motor idling and transmission in park.

LUBEGARD Typical Data:
Viscosity at 40° C ---129 cST
Viscosity at 100°C ---16.2 cst
Flashpoint (COC) >450 F
Pour Point -25F
Viscosity Index 120
Gravity, API 20.2

[ December 08, 2002, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

I thought an additive might protect the trans a little better. Make it last 200K instead of 150K.

I don't trust the automakers to recommend what is best for the car. Sure Dexron III allows an acceptable amount of wear over time. What if we can reduce it even further? What I don't know is how it would affect trans operation. Would a change is viscosity confuse the electronics and cause problems?

I was also intrigued by service bulletins that recommend Lubegard red if a trans is making noises. If it's good enough to be recommended for that maybe it's worthy of full time use.

I have a Toyota that has been on synthetic ATF since 25,000 miles and changed every 30,000 or so via a drain and fill. Have not had a flush. 150,000 miles now. At last drain (130,000 miles)I put the Lubeguard in and I found no difference in operation. It was operating fine before the additive. I also have it in a Mercury and Isuzu. I may (could be perception) see a slight change in the Mercury with smoother shifting but notning to write home about in all three. I have a bottle for gear oil but have not tried it as yet.

I also put in the LubeGuard (I think it was the red bottle) I use the Mobil 1 and didn't really notice any difference. Is the Platinum something new?? (beside more $$$'s
mad.gif
)

Also I have read (somewhere) that Lucus Stuff is good also. Any thought on this product?
confused.gif

I'm using the LubeGuard red in my transmission and power steering. I noticed a very slight diffference in shifting, and a noticeable difference in reduced steering effort. I am running Pennzoil ATF in the transmission and Mobil 1 ATF in the power steering.

I do not see how it could hurt. All of their literature indicates that it would be good to use from day one.

Here is an e-mail I recieved when I asked them about the use of LubeGuard as preventative, and if it should not be used as such;

quote:

Thank you for contacting us!
Use of Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is a great
preventative maintenance product for brand new and problem free
transmissions. The only time that using Lubegard would not be recommended is
in older vehicles that have not been maintained.
Please let me know if I can do anything else.
Warmest regards,
Elise Haviland
Customer Service

International Lubricants Inc.
7930 Occidental South; Seattle WA 98108
T/206-762-5343 or Toll Free/800-333-LUBE (5823)
F/206-762-7989

[ December 09, 2002, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Mola Kule,

I think I'll go with some Mobil 1 ATF. Interestingly, its no longer on the shelves of two autoparts stores near me. Are they reformulating it or something?

[ December 10, 2002, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

I have found that synthetic ATF fluids allow the trannys to last about 30-50k longer.
Most full syntetic ATF's already have some levels of synthetic esters as FM's.

Lubeguard products are great for shudder and valve-body problems, in my experience.

Never used LG for Preventative Maintenance. A discussion or email with Lubeguard about PM might shed some light on it.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
Mola Kule,

I think I'll go with some Mobil 1 ATF. Interestingly, its no longer on the shelves of two autoparts stores near me. Are they reformulating it or something?

Good question. They are due for a reformulation since they don't have the Mercon V rating yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back