Ford Hybrids-Lifetime Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visited dealer for touch up paint and spoke with service rep about the Owner's Manual stating that the Engine Air Filter in the Hybrids (Fusion/Lincoln) is a lifetime filter. Does not make sense to me. He did not know which is kind of scary in itself. Cabin air filter is a normal change interval.

The parts guy said that if and when the filter is replaced the entire air flow unit is replaced along with the MAF and filter box? He showed me a diagram with the parts included in the filter change.

Anyone out there familiar with the 2011-2012 Ford Hybrids (Fusions/Lincolns) and the air filter elements or whatever is in the box?? How can they be lifetime?

Last edited:
I think they are the same as the air filters on the PZEV Foci of previous years. The only times we ever replace those units are when they are damaged in an accident. They are good units, don't replace them until the indicator says so.

Originally Posted By: DinoLover
That'll be interesting to take into a Jiffy Lube!

Lol, totally.

If there is a restriction gauge, I have no issue with this design.

Are those the Donaldson PowerCore filters? I'd not change one of those until indicated. The design sure can go a long time in very hostile conditions. For most cars in North America, I'd bet they truly are "lifetime".

Because at the typical part throttle operation, it doesn't matter if they do get dirty...that only matters at W.O.T.

its a multistage design that can hold a large amount.

it also has a restriction gauge on it.

If you think it needs replaced at 150k miles the replacement runs 200-300$ for the whole assembly.

Unless you live at the end of a long dirt road I doubt it will ever fill up.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Are those the Donaldson PowerCore filters? I'd not change one of those until indicated. The design sure can go a long time in very hostile conditions. For most cars in North America, I'd bet they truly are "lifetime".

+1

I'm not much for "lifetime" claims, but if anyone could get close it would be donaldson.

The powercores are solid, well built units and I wouldn't bother to change it unless a restriction gauge showed it was due

My Son in law has one on his Focus. He was asking me how to change his air filter and I had to research it to find that is is a sealed air box. first one that i had ever seen. I googled it and found a picture of one cut open. Multiple filters that can hold a LOT of dirt.

Even ordinary air filters are changed far too often. Just because the filter looks dirty on the surface does not mean that it is nearing the end of its life.

Mt Sierra's air filter element is five years old and the restriction gauge I installed still indicates no restriction (I tested the gauge to ensure it works properly). I will probably change out the element at around eight years of age.

We have a 2004 Freightliner truck at work which is still on its original Powercore filter and the restriction gauge still shows no restriction. Remember diesel engines injest large volumes of air.

They seem to be a pretty good idea, heck even the regular paper filters on GM trucks go 100k miles all the time.

One less thing to maintain and mess up, plus they probably do a better job filtering than a regular paper filter.

That's a neat idea......I guess it's kind of their "attack" at K&N? :p

Well, with a totally different concept....

So that's what's hiding under all of that "plastic" haha.
wink.gif

I just gotta say I'm very surprised that everyone is OK with these filters, since so many were vehemently against lifetime fuel filters. I have no problem with lifetime fuel or air filters, I'm just surprised that others are too.

The problem I have with lifetime fuel filters is that a really bad batch of gas can plug up the filter and then you are looking at dropping the tank. With the filter inside the tank there is no way to measure the restriction offered by the filter, so now we are into guessing at the problem.

Granted really contaminated gas is unlikely these days.

That box isnt the filter either. Its a resonator. If you look straight down you will see the MAF below it. The actual air filter is in the bumper.
:p
Its not a powercore, as I once thought. Its a foam filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back