STP "Stop Leak" Fixed the leak on my Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 94 Saturn SL1. I noticed, when I switched to synthetic oil, that there was a leak coming from the front right corner of the engine somewhere. The leak got faster and faster over time with the synthetic oils reaching a leak rate of almost a quart a week. I purchased STP's Stop Leak and added that to my oil. The leak has stopped completely. Any suggestions about this product or suggestions for the future to prevent the leak from reoccuring. It's been recommended to me not to use synthetic oils on an engine with as many miles as I have(160K) and that Valvoline MaxLife should maintain the engine. I'm usually not a big fan of hokey oils so is this Maxlife stuff the real deal or just a marketing ploy?

--Matt

Maxlife is mostly marketing really. Maxlife does contain a little bit of esters in it, which help swell the seals very slightly (supposedly) and it's also a bit thicker than other 10w30s as well to also slow down consumption. But it really doesn't have any more detergents and antiwear additives than other oils, like it says on it's bottles.

this is what I've been reading since I posted that. In the past, before the leaks, I had no problems with mobil drive clean oil. It seemed to keep the engine as quiet as the synthetics and keep everything in good condition. How does the DriveClean rate against other oils?

Also, I'm kinda confused as to which weight of oil to use. The manual says 5w30 for winter but with an engine with this many miles on it 5w30 is generally not recommended. I was using 10w40 over the summer for a bit and that seemed to work ok but I am uncertain about the performance of it in this engine in the winter. Sometimes it gets prety chilly here in Cleveland.

--Matt

Your leak might slow if you use Auto-Rx. It depends on why your engine is leaking.

If the seal(s) are torn or damaged, you need new seals. If they can take advantage of cleaning and reconditioning, Auto-Rx will help. You may just need some bolts tightened. Kinda hard to tell from here.
wink.gif

You're right, a 5w30 will leak worse than a 10w30 or 10w40. The high mileage oils usually fall on the thicker end of the ranges allowed for grades of oil (such as 10w30). Pennzoil makes a good high mileage oil. Generally, synthetic oils are thinner at ambient tempature than a regular oil of the same grade and will often leak more if you leak occurs on the driveway.

Someone correct if I'm wrong but STP stop leak just thickens the oil. That will affect the winter performance of your oil much more than switching to 10w40 without STP stop leak.

Cheers
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
any comments on that "Stop Leak"?

--Matt

Yep. I would find whats leaking and fix it. It might be a 10 dollar sending unit or a easy and cheap to fix gasket.You kinda shot first by using the stop leak and now are asking questions
smile.gif
Now don't take that wrong
wink.gif

But I am the guy who takes to radiator to be shopped when leaking also.No fix with a can for me,just my opinion and how I do things

Others might know more about the STP stop leak.I have seen some on the shelves,but not that one.

according to stp

STP® Engine Stop Leak is formulated to help:
Stop minor oil leaks
Rejuvenate seals and gaskets
Fortify oil with viscosity enhancer

I wish it was something as simple as replacing a oil pan gasket, but it's not. I don't think a leak around a crankshaft berring would be that easy or cheap to fix.

--Matt

[ November 15, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

This was the first post which led me to believe you did NOT know where the leak was coming from. If you had of posted it was the crank seal,I would not have replied like I did because I never have seen a crankshaft seal either a front or real seal on the right corner of a motor
smile.gif

(I have a 94 Saturn SL1. I noticed, when I switched to synthetic oil, that there was a leak coming from the front right corner of the engine somewhere)

sorry for the unclear wording, I had meant the front right corner of the car under the engine somewhere. The guy at murrays(auto parts store) later pointed out to me that it appeared to be coming from a crankshaft berring seal. Any additional words knowing this?

--Matt

I was amased to here that STP Stopleak stopped a leak in a friends 944 porsche. it was his rear mail seal that was leaking.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jessealan:
I thinking in trying the stopleak in my 85 subaru I just purchased. It seems to be a rear main leak. Any body hear of any other additives working for leaks.

Auto-RX is supposed to repair seal leaks. I have heard many success stories here. And it also has a money-back guarantee.
I will be trying it soon on 2 cars to repair leaks.
I should have results within a month or 2.

Bob has said 131/292 Neutra has stopped leaks for some people as well. But Schaeffer does not make that claim, nor guarantee it. However it is significantly cheaper.

Auto-RX costs $24 per treatment. Stop Leak costs $3. What's the harm in trying it? It's worked for others.

--Matt

Oil leaks caused by seals don't respond well
to additives that "TRY" to stop them by "Swelling"
the seal material. This results in loss of seal elasticity (swelling has stetched it out of all shaspe)and it changes the OEM thickness of the seal.This $ 3.00 Fix is going blow the seal and your going to have a major teardown to put in a new seal.The only question is how long and where it will happen.Seals leak because they get third party abrasives behind them and there is no longer
any firm adhering to the metal (seals get dirty )
Don't stretch them to stop a leak,clean them.

ok, I ordered auto-rx. as soon as it comes I'm gonna do an oil/filter change with some 10w30 dino oil and run a treatment of that stuff. What is the recommended amount of time to run the dino oil after the auto-rx treatment? I already have a 5w40 Synthetic to stick in when everything is said and done.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back