Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck vs Mobil 1 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck vs Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40

Any difference? Vehicle is a BMW X35d (diesel) Its hard to tell the difference for me as they both look good but any recommendation would be appreciated. Planned Oil change interval is 6000mi

There is an enormous difference.
The Turbo Diesel Truck is a CJ4 oil and has about 1100ppm phosphorus, unfortunately much more than the maximum acceptable for the 335d/X5 35d's catalytic convertor to tolerate. It also has a TBN (total base number = alkaline reserve = acid neutralizing capacity) of 10.7, much more than the ESP Formula M of 6.4. You aren't supposed to use TDT in the 335d/X5 35d.
Actually the ESP Formula M 5W40 doesn't have the BMW LL04 approval either, but it probably will work OK.
The alkalinity of the ESP will probably be barely enough for the 335d's OCI (oil change interval) of 10K miles. It isn't enough for the X5 35d with its' higher fuel consumption. Which is why I'm using Delvac 1 LE 5W30, which has the low phosphorus of the ESP Formula 5W30 but a much higher TBN of 12.6, but higher ash of 1.0% vs. the 0.6% of the ESP 5W30/40. Hopefully someone will have a DPF vacuum cleaner in our town by the time my DPF fills up with ash. I do notice oil consumption with the Delvac is lower than with the dealer supplied Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30.
With an OCI of 6000mi instead of 10K mi, the Castrol/Mobil 1 ESP should be OK. I have 12K mi on my current fill of Delvac and plan to change and test it soon.

Charlie

Out of curiosity who sells the delvac 1? very hard to order it seems even over the net.. Could you have meant Delvac 5w-40 ESP?
http://paceperformance.com/i-6143260-mob...l-1-gallon.html like that... I can find that but not 5w30

about the above:
from mobil site:
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40

Supreme Performance Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
Product Description

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is a fully synthetic supreme performance heavy duty diesel engine oil that helps extend engine life while providing long drain capability and potential fuel economy for modern diesel engines operating in severe applications. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s), as well as refrigerated units and older, well-maintained engines. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP also meets the requirements of the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

The outstanding performance of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the requirements of the latest API, ACEA, and Global industry specifications for diesel engine oils, as well as the requirements of virtually all major American, and European engine manufacturers.
Features and Benefits

Many modern, low emission diesel engines generate more soot and operate at higher temperatures than older engines. This significantly increases the need for supreme performance lubricants. In addition, new engines (model-year 2007 and beyond) come equipped with aftertreatment devices installed in the engine exhaust stream which will require the use of both API CJ-4 oils and ultra-low sulfur fuels to function properly. Further, new engines using EGR will generate even higher levels of acid, soot and heat than older EGR engines due to substantially increased EGR rates compared to previous EGR designs. Top piston rings are located higher, bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber and exposing the lubricant to severe thermal stresses. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 maintains outstanding performance at significantly higher temperatures than other high performance diesel engine oils. It is also fully compatible with conventional oils. The key benefits include: Features Advantages and Potential Benefits
Meets or exceeds demanding specifications of major OEMs One engine oil for mixed fleet operations
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduced low temperature sludge build-up and high temperature deposits
Enhanced film strength at high temperatures Reduced engine scuffing and bore polishing
Inherent stay-in-grade shear stability Wear protection and reduced oil consumption; maintains viscosity in severe, high temperature service
Advanced formulation and viscometrics Improved fuel economy
Low volatility Reduced oil consumption
Exceptional low temperature pumpability Easy engine start-up and reduced wear
Enhanced TBN quality reserve Deposit control and extended drain capability
Outstanding resistance to corrosion Extended life of critical wear surfaces
Long drain capability Increased operating efficiency and lower overall cost
Component compatibility Long gasket and seal life, extended service intervals

Applications

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s). These applications include the following:
On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American and European equipment builders
High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
Refrigeration units
Specifications and Approvals
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-40
API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SM/SL X
ACEA E7, E9 X
Caterpillar ECF-3 X
Cummins CES 20081 X
Twin Disc S364A X

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP has the following builder approvals: 5W-40
Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218, 93K214 X
Mack EO-O Premium Plus, EO-N Premium Plus 03 X
MAN M3277 X
MB-Approval 228.31, 228.3 X
Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3, VDS-2 X
Deutz DQC III-05 X

Typical Properties
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 98
cSt @ 100ºC 14.7
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 156
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 10.1
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 249
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85

Last edited:
never mind found info, but where to get it?

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30
Supreme Performance Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
Product Description

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is a fully synthetic supreme performance heavy duty diesel engine oil that helps extend both engine and emission system life while providing long drain capability and fuel economy potential for modern diesel engines, including those fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines. Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is recommended for use in a range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries.

The performance of Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is the result of development work with major equipment builders and application of the latest lubrication technology. This product simultaneously meets MB-Approval 228.51 and MB-Approval 228.5 requirements in a 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Features and Benefits

High output, low emission engines significantly increase demands on engine lubricants. Tighter engine design reduces oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Thermal stresses on the lubricant are increased with the use of inter-coolers and turbochargers. Higher fuel injection pressure and retarded timing improve burn efficiency, but also increase engine temperatures, volatility, and soot loading of the oil. The advanced technology in Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 delivers exceptional performance in these severe conditions and provides protection of exhaust systems fitted with DPF. The key benefits include:Features Advantages and Potential Benefits
Outstanding protection against oil thickening, high temperature deposits, sludge build-up, bore polishing, oil degradation and corrosion Reduced wear and long engine life
Outstanding control of high temperature deposits
Excellent anti-wear and anti-scuff properties Excellent protection against ring sticking
Stay-in-grade shear stability; Very low volatility Reduces viscosity breakdown and oil consumption under heavy duty, high temperature operating conditions
Low ash level Enhanced protection of exhaust systems fitted with DPF
Excellent low temperature properties Fuel economy potential
Improved pumpability and oil circulation
Start-up wear protection

Applications
A range of naturally aspirated and turbo-charged diesel powered equipment (please refer to owners handbook / OEM requirements for your vehicle).
On-highway light and heavy-duty trucking
Modern heavy-duty engines equipped with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

Specifications and Approvals
Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-30
ACEA E7 X
ACEA E6 X
ACEA E4 X
Renault Truck RXD X
Renault Truck RLD X
Renault Truck RLD-2 X

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 has the following builder approvals: 5W-30
MB-Approval 228.51 X
MB-Approval 228.5 X
MAN M 3477 X
VOLVO VDS-3 X
MTU Oil Category 3.1 X
DEUTZ DQC III-05 X

Typical Properties
Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 74.4
cSt @ 100ºC 12.2
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 161
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12.6
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -51
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 234
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.855

Health and Safety

Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

For Switzerland Use: Toxicity class: free BAG T No.: 102759

Last edited:
I'd think you want to stay with an LL04 oil. Pep Boys is the only one that I know of that sells Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40.

I had to get Delvac 1 LE from Europe, very expensive with the shipping.
I'd just use Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30 or ESP Formula M 5W40 and do the 6000 mi OCI. I got the Delvac 1 LE because I'm a little crazy and the expense didn't bother me. My dealer gave me a "warranty dispensation" to use it at the warranty covered oil changes when I showed them and explained to them the oil analysis results.
Burt: as I stated, ESP Formula M 5W40 is NOT LL04 certified, though it has the proper ash/phosphorus/HTHS characteristics.

Charlie

I just used the Mobil in the 5w40 flavor in the Jetta so lets pray. Couldn't get LubriMoly or Delvac 1 without ordering 5 gallons.

The upper P limit for CJ4 (like D1 ESP) oils is 1200ppm. For ACEA E6 oils like D1 LE it is 800ppm, similar to the 7-900 mandated for ACEA C3 oils like BMW LL04. D1 LE seems to be significantly better than ESP in the TBN area:12.6 vs. 10.1

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back