Oil recommendation 2011 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Even all of the Grand Sports get dry sumps nowadays??!!
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Only the manual transmission GS Corvettes get the dry sump LS3 motor. This makes a big difference in the oil change interval, although I don't know if GM has recalibrated the OLM to reflect this. The dry sump engine holds over 10 quarts of oil while the wet sump engine holds less than 6 quarts. So you can definitely get away with longer OCIs if you've got the dry sump engine!

You rarely hear of anyone with a LS 2 or 3 having engine wear issues. You really don't need anything other than Mobil 1 5w30. There are definitely great alternatives but I don't know what you're really gaining.

Originally Posted By: Patman

cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Only the manual transmission GS Corvettes get the dry sump LS3 motor. This makes a big difference in the oil change interval, although I don't know if GM has recalibrated the OLM to reflect this. The dry sump engine holds over 10 quarts of oil while the wet sump engine holds less than 6 quarts. So you can definitely get away with longer OCIs if you've got the dry sump engine!

I just read on Corvette Forum that the only LS3 motors that are dry sump are the MT GS.

Do they even make Corvette GS's with automatic transmissions? The Grand Sport is basically a Z06 with an LS3 engine. The two major differences from a base Corvette are the aluminum chassis and dry-sump oil system. These make it a track-day special. I'm not sure if the GS comes with the Z06 brake package, though. I think so.

But anyway, if the cap on the dry sump tank says M1 5w30, believe it. There's no need to run 0w40, even on track days.

Originally Posted By: Patman

cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Only the manual transmission GS Corvettes get the dry sump LS3 motor.

They do not break it down by ragtop vs. regular roof as well (i.e.; the manual convertible GSes still get a wet sump)??

For some reason I always thought this.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Do they even make Corvette GS's with automatic transmissions? The Grand Sport is basically a Z06 with an LS3 engine.

GS has the Z51 suspension and rear end (i.e. not Z06.)
GS has the steel frame (i.e. not Z06).
GS available in manual or auto, and coupe (actually its a GTS not a coupe; but that is another discussion entirely) or convertable.
GS has interrior options not available in the Z06

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Do they even make Corvette GS's with automatic transmissions? The Grand Sport is basically a Z06 with an LS3 engine. The two major differences from a base Corvette are the aluminum chassis and dry-sump oil system. These make it a track-day special. I'm not sure if the GS comes with the Z06 brake package, though. I think so.

But anyway, if the cap on the dry sump tank says M1 5w30, believe it. There's no need to run 0w40, even on track days.

Owning a Z06 I have to disagree with this somewhat. The Z06 owners KNOW that the GS is no Z06. The GS is a Z06 wannabe. The LS3 and the steel frame, along with suspension pieces make them different. Get a ride in a GS and a Z06 and you will feel the difference. I had a base C6, and now a Z06 and the difference is mind boggling. The C6 is fast, the Z06 is a beast. And yes, the GS gets the Z06 brakes.
And I would use PP or PU in an LS3 with no hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back