Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

04 BMW 325i - Turkey baster method - Wolfshead ATF.

01 Toyota tundra v8 - pulled ps pump suction tube to fix leaking o-ring letting air in. Topped off with Valvoline Dex6.

2006 Pontiac GTO. Supercharged 6.0L.

Sucked out the original GM PSF.

Poured in Amsoil ATF.

2007 V8 4Runner

I have done 6 drain/fills in the past few weeks with Mobil 1 Multi ATF using a 2 stroke mixing syringe to suck out the fluid from the reservoir. I figure by the time the qt is done I will be good for a while.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
2007 V8 4Runner

I have done 6 drain/fills in the past few weeks with Mobil 1 Multi ATF using a 2 stroke mixing syringe to suck out the fluid from the reservoir. I figure by the time the qt is done I will be good for a while.

I use the same 2 stroke mixing syringe. That is because Toyota makes the opening the the reservoir so small that other tools don't fit in there.

every year i use the turkey baster method, always use Valvoline PS fluid because I bought a ton of it a couple years ago for 50 cents a quart. My Saturn has some kind of electric steering and no fluid or pump.

97 Stratus.

Used a pump from a conditioner bottle and a little length of vinyl tube, crammed it as far down into the reservoir as I could. Pumped it out, left right, pumped it out, left right...

Got something that looked like asphalt out. Put in half a quart of cheap Dexron ATF. Ran for a day, pumped it out. Another half quart of cheap Dex. Ran a day, pumped it out.

Then did the same procedure with a quart of ATF+4 which my PS system was FF in later models. Worked great, nice and pink now. Will do it again with another quart when I do my transmission again just to help keep it fresh.

The stuff that came out I put in an old bottle of Coke Zero and needless to say, it was so dark you couldn't tell it from Coke Zero...

Edit: ATF+4 was just cheap Castrol brand from Walmart, but since its a licensed brand of ATF+4 its high quality synthetic: so works for my liking.

Last edited:
2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i.
Used a 2-cycle syringe to suck fluid out of the reservoir. Refilled with Subaru ATF-HP. I do this every 15K miles when I drain & fill the transmission.

Pumped about 5oz of Nissan power steering fluid from the reservoir that was used for only 4,000 miles in a 2006 Altima with 29,000 miles on it. Refilled with Nissan psf.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Pumped about 5oz of Nissan power steering fluid from the reservoir that was used for only 4,000 miles in a 2006 Altima with 29,000 miles on it. Refilled with Nissan psf.

Why Nissan PSF specifically? I believe it's only sold in pints and can be fairly expensive. The FSM says that any Dex III/Merc fluid is usable - a synthetic fluid might be a better and cheaper choice.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
took out three syringes worth of factory fluid on the Fusion and refilled with Castrol Mercon V

You rebel.....

Used turkey baster to draw out old fluid. Jacked the front of the car up and put in cheap Wal mart brand ATF turned the wheels back and forth several times. Drew the fluid out again did this over and over until the fluid was clean, I went through 2 quarts of the cheap stuff. Filled with Valvoline Max Life ATF. This was done on my Taurus

Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
took out three syringes worth of factory fluid on the Fusion and refilled with Castrol Mercon V

You rebel.....
confused2.gif

This month I used 60 ml draw syringe and clear tubing to draw out fluid.

Replaced with Prestone P/S fluid.

Ran engine and turned wheels back and forth.

Repeated using up 2qrts fresh fluid.

Did fluid change on '00 Silverado and '03 Tahoe.

on their next oil changes I will disconnect lines and do full flush with Valvoline Max Life P/S fluid

After taking off the belly pan and seeing the potential for a major mess trying to do a proper drain and flush on the G37 (not to mention an inexplicable difficulty in finding tools tonight - I can find a harmonic balancer puller, timing light, multiple sets of ancient Chryco points, two tap and die sets, pipe benders, ball joint separators, enough rivets to assemble a B-29, and five filter wrenches, but not one functional set of pliers), I opted for the reservoir evacuation and refill, and will do a few more over the next few weeks.

2008 Infiniti G37, 68785 km
- out factory fill (not as red as normal ATF, but smelled like ATF)
- in Mobil Super Dexron-VI ATF

Back