Hawker Beechcraft bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win

Saw it in today's Arkansas Business. Hawker Beechcraft, which has a pretty big facility at the Little Rock airport, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, with debt of at least $2.5B, and $2.4B in revenue last year.

One of my grand goals in life was to buy a new Bonanza, but they quit making the V35 when I was in law school, and I'll bet a new model 36 is upwards of $750K these days, and a Baron probably $1M, so that's not ever going to happen.

I just can't see any small business, at least around here, throwing off the kind of revenue it takes to buy a new light aircraft these days.

I can't imagine how the cost structure has gotten so out of whack for light aircraft. Except for the avionics, the development costs for the engines and airframes must have paid off a half century ago.

And don't the chi coms own Lycoming now, or is it Continental?

Originally Posted By: Win

I can't imagine how the cost structure has gotten so out of whack for light aircraft.

Look up "litigation".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is that the same Hawker as Hawker batteries?

Hawker is derived from the old Hawker-Siddelly (sp?) british aircraft firm, I think. There have been so many mergers and bankruptcies among the aircraft companies, it's hard to keep them all straight.

Not just litigation...it's the cost of certifying a new design and manufacturing...takes 10+ years to get a new airplane certified...with zero revenue on it...and you're paying interest the whole time...

But the cost of liability insurance (based on the history of litigation) is a large part of it as well...more than half the cost of a new airplane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back