Disappointing Amsoil 0W20 report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received the Blackstone report on oil analysis for my 2006 Focus. The vehicle is not modified in any way and runs about half city and half highway driving. I sent the oil in for analysis at about 8300 miles. Now Amsoil says this is their 25k or 15k severe service oil. I am also using a Baldwin filter.

Needless to say that I am disappointed that this high end oil is recommended to be changed at 8k because of the elevated metals in the oil. I guess I will be calling Amsoil tech services in the morning. I should note that I switched from Amsoil 0W20 in my Honda Odyssey when I started to notice the beginning of sludging. Now running PU.

Originally Posted By: gunner3773
Needless to say that I am disappointed that this high end oil is recommended to be changed at 8k because of the elevated metals in the oil.

Where is the Blackstone report?

How can you be sure oil is to blame for the elevated metals?

If I could figure out how to post the report I would. This is the first oil analysis. 63k on the car and had it since new and always used Amsoil. I was expecting to get more than 8k out of a 25k oil. I will send in another oil sample when I change it at 8k.

What exactly are these signs of sludge forming in the honda?? What kind of mileage on the oil in this situation??

Honda motors are usually very easy on any oil, dino included. If your actually getting sludge you might have other issues than the oil

If I could figure out how to post the report I would. This is the first oil analysis. 63k on the car and had it since new and always used Amsoil. I was expecting to get more than 8k out of a 25k oil. I will send in another oil sample when I change it at 8k.

First off, let's get one thing straight. The oil is rated to handle "up to" 25k miles and in very certain conditions at that.

Sure Severe service is 15k but again, at very specific conditions, based on what we've seen from UOAs over the years. (Meaning, not every engine can handle 10k OCIs, and certainly not 15-25k intervals.)

You said you've been using it (Amsoil) since the car was new, what were the OCIs?

I just received the Blackstone report on oil analysis for my 2006 Focus. The vehicle is not modified in any way and runs about half city and half highway driving. I sent the oil in for analysis at about 8300 miles. Now Amsoil says this is their 25k or 15k severe service oil. I am also using a Baldwin filter.

Needless to say that I am disappointed that this high end oil is recommended to be changed at 8k because of the elevated metals in the oil. I guess I will be calling Amsoil tech services in the morning. I should note that I switched from Amsoil 0W20 in my Honda Odyssey when I started to notice the beginning of sludging. Now running PU.

I don't believe that the car you mention specs 0w20 does it? Why do people INSIST on using oil specs that DO NOT MEET WHAT THE MANUFACTURERS SPECIFY???

This is not the first time i have heard of this. It all depends on your driving style and habits. My good friend who also uses Amsoil products as i do, had an uoa done on his 2004 Jeep Chrokee and was told by Amsoil to no longer use the SSO. The issue was that his wife living only 4mi from work was beating the oil to death in only 8k miles with all her short trips. Just because it is a 25k oil does not automatically mean you can go 25k on it. Doing the uoa was the smart thing to do and you may need to use a lesser grade of Amsoil or any oil for that matter and shorter oci's. Don't be disapointed. He is using OE and 5k oci's with great results.

Honda engines sludging points to a problem usually. They arent very sludge prone if at all. Have you checked/changed your PCV valve ? Also , try the Amsoil 5w20 which Ford specs for your vehicle and see how it holds upto your service interval.

I agree with other posters here. Most of the people here "can" run 0w20 if their vehicle calls for 5w20. However , more wear metals might mean that its not forming a good enough protection film on the engine parts, would be a good idea to do a couple of 5k ocis with Motocraft syn blend or a cheap name brand 5w20 syn on sale and then get another UOA and see how your engine likes that.

You arent using the oil specified for your vehicle and when you get less than stellar results from that oil , you blame the oil manufacturer. Its the same as someone blaming the tire manufacturer for making a bad tire cause they only got 30k out of a 65k tire, but have no history of rotation/balance and alignment being performed in that interval. And then they wonder why their front two tires are bald and the rear two cupped.

What were the SI, FE, CU, and PB amounts on the oil report?

Is it possible that this is one of those kind of threads?
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Type the results, all of them, into a thread in the 'UOA' section on the board. There are a lot of people on here that have enough experience looking at them that you will get a pretty good read on it, and also advice on what to do next.

There is help, we just need data.

The oil and filter is always changed 8 to 10k. Ford specs 5w20. Amsoil says any 5w20 spec can use their 0W20. Trips are a combination of city and highway and are generally in the 20+ mile range. My thought here is that under Amsoil's claim of extreme service (15k) and the type of driving we do, I would have thought the oil would have gone longer than 8k. Nothing about Amsoil bashing since I have used it in just about everything until recently for over 20 years.

AL 7
CR 5
FE 23
CU 3
SI 6
Moly 50
TBN 2.3

According to Blackstone, AL, CR, and FE are over double the universal averages for that vehicle.

Well, from just what you have supplied, those results aren't that bad for 8300 miles.

I agree with you that the TBN seems a bit low for an oil that claims to do 15k. But, TBN drop is not linear, so this oil may have a bit to go yet.

Question, is this the first use of Amsoil in this vehicle? If so, that may explain a lot - when you put an oil after others, especially if they were'nt as high of quality, the oil has to 'clean up' after other oils, so TBN drops faster.

You did not supply the viscosity or fuel dilution percentage. If this car sees any city driving, which it does, the oil may be contaminated with fuel, which also drops TBN.

This oil would have been run through winter, and winter driving, especialy city driving, is hard on oil, and will use it up faster than warmer-weather driving.

A final note, one oil run does tell you everything - do another run to about the same mileage, and see how it does.

Just some thoughts, hope they help!

Viscosity@ 210F 54.5
Viscosity@ 100c 8.62
Fuel % Water % 0

I've used Amsoil in this vehicle since new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back