Filter for a 2012 Mazda 3. Grrrrr!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was time for the first oil change on my new Mazda 3 and I wanted to do it myself just to poke around.

I look up the filter in the book at Walmart and select the premium Fram (I know...but it was what they had and the premium Fram isn't knocked too bad). That was a Extra Guard 3614.

I fill the filter full of oil, craw under the car and try to install it....thing won't go on!

Go back to another Walmart and looked up the part but this time I got a Bosch 3330. Went home, filled it with oil, crawled under the car, and the thing would not fit!

Searching on line it looks like there is a misprint and the thing really needs a 20mm x 1.5mm.

I think the Fram part for this is PH6607 but I would really like someone who has done it to verify that. I am out $20 worth of oil filters already since I filled the things and I have no vehicle they can be used in. Grrrrr! LOL

Why are you out? Return them on the basis of them not fitting yur car. Obviously they dont look like they have been on for 10k miles. if it is their mistake, let them eat it.

YEP, take them back. They'll never know there's a problem unless somebody tells them thus, it'll never get fixed.

Think about the next guy that's gonna come along and do the same thing.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but from a quick research it does look like Fram PH6607 is the correct replacement filter. If PH6607 is a fit, then Wix 51365 should also fit.

Oh, and I agree with others - return the filters and get your money back. It's not your fault.

Last edited:
True, and I will probably do that although I am almost certain I didn't keep the receipts. Thing is it wasn't Wally's fault either but rather the filter people.

I just looked up Bosch online and they had the wrong part number on their site even. The 3330 is a 3/4 x 16 and it needs to be a 20mm x 1.5

I called Bosch and told them they have an error and gave them the right specifications so hopefully they will get it corrected.

Originally Posted By: Darrin
Thing is it wasn't Wally's fault either but rather the filter people.

Sure, but Walmart doesn't need to take a hit for it either. They can return these filters right back to "the filter people."

Quote:

I called Bosch and told them they have an error and gave them the right specifications so hopefully they will get it corrected.

Even places like Wix and RockAuto and Amsoil have the info wrong. They are basically just regurgitating the info that they got from Mazda. Mazda dropped the ball on this, and the rest is just a domino effect.

Is your Mazda a SkyActiv? If so the filter you need is a PE01-14-302, the LF05-14-302B will not fit.

Have a bunch of the SkyActiv filters in stock after we got caught offguard on the first one.

I'd consider either the 51365 (shorter) or 51356 (a bit longer) based upon size constraints. Both excellent little filters.

Return the others and get your money back. Walmart will take them; just explain it and you can even show them. Typically they just shrug and give you credit.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Return the others and get your money back. Walmart will take them; just explain it and you can even show them. Typically they just shrug and give you credit.

Yup. Don't need a receipt either. Show them your drivers license and they'll give you store credit.

Hmmm. I don't know what's going on here. The Wix site shows it takes a 51348 with a 3/4"x16 thread. Hastings shows the LF576 with the same thread as the Wix.

Worldpac does not show the Bosch 3300, which crosses with the Wix 51356, 51358, and 51365, but it does show up with my G, of course. For a K&N reference, Worldpac shows PS-1002 and HP-1002.

The Bosch site shows the 3300 and 72161 (I suspect this is the German Bosch variant) for all Mazda 3 cars.

Either Wix and Hastings and Worldpac are wrong, or Bosch is wrong. For your information, the Bosch is definitely the metric thread, as are the Wix 51356, 51358, and 51365.

Originally Posted By: Darrin

Searching on line it looks like there is a misprint and the thing really needs a 20mm x 1.5mm.

Did you try the look-up applications on the FRAM and Bosch websites to see if they are correct? Sounds like the Walmart data base might be the only one that's wrong.

Geeze, my resources don't even make a distinction for the SkyActiv. They all "apparently" take the same filter.
wink.gif

When in doubt take the Mazda number from the owners manual or off the filter and have it cross referenced.

no news here they still list the same filters for 2009-2012 subaru foresters too...

2 different engines

since they went to the fb25 in 2011 with a different filter.

AAP and AZ were clueless when I tried to get a 6th quart of oil instead of the filter thats incorrect with their buy 5qt +filter deals.

What do you mean its wrong?

uh they use a different engine since 2011 with different part number?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Geeze, my resources don't even make a distinction for the SkyActiv. They all "apparently" take the same filter.
wink.gif

It is new for 2012. We can identify the difference on our lookups because they say "6 speed" next to the engine description on our lookup.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The Bosch site shows the 3300 and 72161 (I suspect this is the German Bosch variant) for all Mazda 3 cars.

When I check, Bosch site shows 3330 which is not metric and is wrong for this application.

Which Bosch website are you looking at?

Couldn't you just buy a Mazda filter from the dealer? Should fit and if it doesnt you can take it back. All my Mazdas had only Mazda filters all their life and never a problem. Seemed to be well constructed too.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Couldn't you just buy a Mazda filter from the dealer? Should fit and if it doesnt you can take it back. All my Mazdas had only Mazda filters all their life and never a problem. Seemed to be well constructed too.

+1 with that! The lesson is to check the triple check the filter sizes next time. What about Mazda forums? I think you should have gotten a filter from the Stealership, then you could have brought that filter to Wally world or anywhere else and visually matched it up with a different brand before the install.

I've gone to oversized filters and before I buy one I get the original size and always visually match it up before I buy it. Might sound stupid to some, but I've never had a problem doing it this way!

I believe the issue with returning the filter is that you've prefilled it with oil to avoid a dry start. I think you've been watching Horsepower TV on Spike TV too much. I doubt Walmart would take it back filled with oil. People who work at Walmart probably wouldn't have a clue about a dry start!

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
When I check, Bosch site shows 3330 which is not metric and is wrong for this application.

Which Bosch website are you looking at?

No, the problem is I can't read. I misread the 3330 as 3300. The 3300 is definitely metric. The 3330 would not be, as it crosses to the Wix 51348.

If the filter manufacturers can't keep the recommendation straight, how do you expect me to do so?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back