Just Bought My Dream Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use LL04 oil in the X5 35d because it has VERY unsatisfactory TBN retention and corresponding high wear numbers, I believe to excess acid buildup. LL04 oil is a typical 229.51 oil. The official Mercedes Operating Fluids website which I keep referring to and keep suggesting you look at gave me the idea to use a 228.5/51 oil in the X5.
Just look at it! It IS an official MB publication! You don't need to be an engineer to understand it. The page I referred to just gives a list of approved oils for, for example, the 642 engine.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Trying not to get aggressive, but have you looked at the Mercedes Operating Fluid Specifications?. And good luck with 229.51 fluids, if you do a UOA you will find that TBN is severely depleted after 10K miles.

I haven't looked at the specs and,given that I'm a rank amateur when it comes to chemical (and mechanical) engineering,it probably wouldn't do much good if I did.I hope to keep my Bluetec for 75K miles (or more) so one thing I'm planning to do is double up on MB's OC requirements....6 months or 5K miles.I'll be sticking with whatever oil MB requires for as long as it's under warranty (4 years,50K miles).After that I might consider other options if knowledgeable folks reccomend them.

And just out of curiosity I see in your sig that you have a BMW diesel.My previous ride was a 335d so I'm familiar with BMW's "LL-04" oil spec which,it would seem,is *very* similar to MB's 229.51.Do you use "LL-04" spec oil in your BMW diesel?

the 228 spec is for benz diesel trucks and is similar to 229 however with your intended oci there is no reason to stray. Don't forget SLX can be had for 6.50

Jim,

A site like http://www.idparts.com will have many 5 l. choices for an oil that meets MB 229.51 if that is your need.

idparts is big with the VW crowd.

LM Top Tec 4200 would be a good choice as would be the Pentosin Super Performance III.

Cheers on the new diesel. I LOVE my 2011 JSW TDI.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
A site like http://www.idparts.com will have many 5 l. choices for an oil that meets MB 229.51 if that is your need.

The guy who runs www.idparts.com is Peter, a gearhead and a great guy. He travels to VW TDI get-togethers all over the eastern half of the country, and if you find out he's going to be near you, you can ask him to deliver a few cases of oil to you and save the cost of shipping.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
The guy who runs www.idparts.com is Peter, a gearhead and a great guy. He travels to VW TDI get-togethers all over the eastern half of the country, and if you find out he's going to be near you, you can ask him to deliver a few cases of oil to you and save the cost of shipping.

Thanks to both HondaMan and Tornado Red.I've already amassed a 2 1/2 year supply of 229.51 oil (Mobil 1 5w-40 summer,Fuchs winter).At least 90% of my miles are at a steady 65mph so I suspect that OCs every 5K miles (double the factory requirement) should serve me well.

JHZR2 said:
I can do that in my 82 300CD... Heck, I can do that at reasonable speeds in my 81 240D.

....The only regret I have is that the "d" was much spunkier.I can highly recommend the "d" unless back seat comfort is important.

MB uses a lot of counter-balancing and probably a heavier flywheel to smooth out all of their V6's. It's just how their built. The MB V6 will not rev as freely as a BMW I6. MB is a different driving experience all together.

Jim, I bought a 2005 E320 CDI last spring, with 108,000 miles from a dealer. It had a service history: always at the dealer with the recommended Mobi1 1. Later on due to damage from road debris I had to have the oil pan changed. The techs said they had never seen a cleaner crankcase, like new.
Car is sweet and runs perfectly, has been very satisfactory.I will continue to use the recommended Mobil 1, even though I change it myself. I can get it at the dealer or at Pep Boys for about $9 per quart.

Well,it's not *exactly* my dream car.That would be an MB S Class diesel (which will be arriving here soon) but I'd have to win the lottery to get that one.

The MB literature I've read suggests that 5w-30 (e.g.,Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30) is only suitable for temps up to 86 degrees and for higher temps 5w-40 is advised (or required).Can anyone confirm that this is the case for their current-day diesels? Also,does anyone know of outlets (web or brick and mortar chain) that carries Valvoline SynPower MST (which is approved for MB diesels)? Thanks!

I used in the past a 0w30 also for hot summer (i live in South Italy) where temp were about 40°c and never problem at all.

Well,it's not *exactly* my dream car.That would be an MB S Class diesel (which will be arriving here soon) but I'd have to win the lottery to get that one.

The MB literature I've read suggests that 5w-30 (e.g.,Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30) is only suitable for temps up to 86 degrees and for higher temps 5w-40 is advised (or required).Can anyone confirm that this is the case for their current-day diesels? Also,does anyone know of outlets (web or brick and mortar chain) that carries Valvoline SynPower MST (which is approved for MB diesels)? Thanks!

Funny that the cars already owned are not your dream cars. They are my dream cars. I love Diesel sports sedans.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Funny that the cars already owned are not your dream cars. They are my dream cars. I love Diesel sports sedans.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Bluetec as I did my "d".I sold the "d" *only* because I needed more rear seat room,its back seat isn't fit for normal sized adults.As for my Bluetec,I'm just saying that if I won Powerball (which is unlikely given that I don't buy tickets) I'd buy a well equipped S Class diesel,but even *that's* not my absolute dream car.A *well* equipped Panamera diesel is...but it looks like we'll never see one in North America,soooo

I sold the "d" *only* because I needed more rear seat room,its back seat isn't fit for normal sized adults.

What is a normal sized adult? My 530i has slightly less rear legroom than an '09 3-series, yet I've never heard any of my adult rear passengers complain.

Dont forget to do a trans filter and flush at 40k! The dash display wont remind you of this one
Also, what oil change intervals are you planning? Just following the on board computer?

Originally Posted By: GreeshaK
Dont forget to do a trans filter and flush at 40k! The dash display wont remind you of this one

Good point. As part of this job, make sure they drain trans fluid from the torque converter area, too (requires additional drain bolt to be removed). Otherwise, only about half of the trans fluid would be drained. Sadly, MB service depts either "didn't get the memo" or are just lazy and will only do half this job unless you specifically bring it to their attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back