Mobil 1 vs. Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Dave that PP is 1/2 the price of M1 in your area says a lot about regional pricing diferences. In the Charlotte area, the price of PP is often the same as M1 and rarely more than 10% cheaper.

Or, up here, we have M1 $10 a jug cheaper for the jugs than PP, and that's assuming no rollbacks.

Both are fine oils. Of the two I would personally choose M1, just based on my long track record with it, but in your situation, buy whichever is cheapest.

I apologize in advance tig my friend, but I simply like the uoa`s Pennzoil gives.(jmo)
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Both are fine oils but M1 has the superior base stock.

Really?
wink.gif

Please list the base stocks for both.. (and list your resources)

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Depends on grade. For 5w-30, they're functionally identical thanks to both of them meeting dexos1. I'd run the Pennz. Plat. since it's usually a few dollars cheaper.

Last time I checked (today), PP is not on the Dexos1 approved list. Since I don't want to give the dealer any excuse to invalidate a warranty claim, if I ever have one, I will stick with M1 or QSUD.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Really?
wink.gif

As I have said several times "if M1 went out of business today I would start using PP". So I believe PP is an excellant product. However M1 does have a superior base stock according to the info Mobil tech told me. They have told me that they use a combination of Grp3+,4, and 5. Also they consider their base stock as Grp4 as a whole. Also Tom NJ has said the same(the blend of grps) and Buster has reprinted articles confirming this. Now for PP, I again called their tech line and they confirmed their base stock as Grp3+ which is IMO a very good base, but I believe M1s is somewhat better. So that's why I believe M1 has the edge on base stock over PP.

Originally Posted By: speedypete212
Application is 2010 Nissan XTerra, Normal OCI, normal drive conditions, occasional towing. Grade is 5W30 Canadian Tire has PP on for half the price of M1. Been using M1 to date but when PP is on for $25 its pretty hard to beat. Don't think its going to make any difference in that engine anyways. Just checking to see what people thought

First welcome to BITOG!
For your application I would prefer PP SN 5W-30 to M1 even if the price was the same. The reason is, it's a lighter oil particularly on start-up. Since PP is it's an easy choice.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
For shame

Just one asked "what application"..... And no one else?

How many times do you need the question asked? One person asked it, thats all you need.

Really?
wink.gif

As I have said several times "if M1 went out of business today I would start using PP". So I believe PP is an excellant product. However M1 does have a superior base stock according to the info Mobil tech told me. They have told me that they use a combination of Grp3+,4, and 5. Also they consider their base stock as Grp4 as a whole. Also Tom NJ has said the same(the blend of grps) and Buster has reprinted articles confirming this. Now for PP, I again called their tech line and they confirmed their base stock as Grp3+ which is IMO a very good base, but I believe M1s is somewhat better. So that's why I believe M1 has the edge on base stock over PP.

Are you sure it's not just their Vissom (sp?) basestock? I could understand why they wouls say they: "consider it Grp IV basestock" b/c its properties are just as good in most cases. But is it not at least technically just a Grp III+ basestock as well? Both SOPUS & M1 seem to have made great strides in the properties of these Grp III+ basestocks.

I'd also point out their wording to you "consider it Grp IV" as proof of it. If it was Grp IV surely they'd just say it was & not that they consider it. Which if their Grp III+ can meet all of the attributes of PAO then they rightly consider it so.

I only say this as it could very well be mostly Grp III+ [ie: Vissom] w/ a small shot of Grp IV & V but on the whole it performs as well or better than a mostly PAO stock oil (perhaps even their old, old formula's of decades past). As we all know mixtures of Grp's seem to be ideal in today's oils. But I think in this case it may be a majority Vissom basestock that just has inherently as-good or better properties than PAO. This is of course only my guess. But it seems a logical thing to do if their Vissom is all that.

Very similar in quality. If I didn't use M1, I'd use PP/PU. They need to do a better job with their website and product data sheets. Sloppy.

There is no way for anyone here to really know which uses better base stocks. The only thing I can say and do know is that Mobil 1 has historically used the highest quality base stocks out there.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
For shame

How many times do you need the question asked? One person asked it, thats all you need.

But ppl are responding without knowing what car it's for, I for one would never put M1 in a boxer engine......

Just for clarification

For shame

But ppl are responding without knowing what car it's for, I for one would never put M1 in a boxer engine......

Just for clarification

Porsche does it all the time.........

Really?
wink.gif

This is your opinion. In your original post, you stated "Both are fine oils but M1 has the superior base stock" as if it were fact.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Really?
wink.gif

This is your opinion. In your original post, you stated "Both are fine oils but M1 has the superior base stock" as if it were fact.

Most of us believe Grp 3+,4,and 5 blend is superior to grp 3+ alone. This info came to me via the tech line reps of both companies and confirmed by other posters that have credibility here. As I said several times, "I believe both oils are very good'.

For shame

Just for clarification

What's the problem with M1 in a boxer engine? I ask because I recently purchased a 2002 Impreza WRX. Two owner car, always fed M1 5w30, 207,000 miles and zero oil consumption.

I believe Pennzoil would have to use group V also to achieve seal compatibility and it would make more sense to use a ester and as additive carrier as well. So base stocks would be a lot closer between the two then we have ever given thought. Performance wise but are nearly equal with all factors being the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back