CD2 Engine Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any information on CD2 Engine Detergent or experience with this product? There seems to be very little information available on this product. Thanks in advance for any information.

I had been wanting to look at the MSDS on the stuff fo quite a while,well I found the url which after typed in came up a Turtle Wax site,browsed around and found the product but no MSDS,I have emailed the asking for it,will post it when they reply

It said something about added cam protection so guessing in the carrier oil,not only a bunch of detergents,Probably some Zinc as well

dragboat, thanks for the information. I would have never thought to look for porduct data for CD2 by going to the Turtle Wax web site but when I went to their site there it was. No useful info but I also asked them for product data and if I get it I will post the info if you have not already done that. I may just use Schaeffers 131 Neutra or AutoRX but still it would be nice to know if there is a good product available on the store shelves.

[ September 19, 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Nevada, try that little coffee cup test like what I did.. If it tears up that, I'd step lightly as you have to remember, it's not just metal in a motor but also seals.

Please visit wwww.auto-rx.net were very proud of this web site and I value your opinion.Most people think that just a drain and a refill is all they need to do. Many of you have been very pleased with Auto-Rx in your engine, well, now consider your transmission, like always, if your not satisfied there is no charge By the way total performance gains when cleansing an engine and transmission are totaly awesome.

I sent the manufacturere of CD2 an email and asked for product specs (typical inspection data) or if that was not available than an MSDS sheet. Here is all the information I got from Turtle Wax about their CD2 Engine Detergent product.

Thank you for your interest in our CD-2 Oil Detergent, Stock No. 4111. As per your request, attached is the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product. Typical properties of the CD-2 Oil Detergent are:
Color and Appearance: clear dark reddish-brown liquid
Weight/Gallon: 7.22Lbs/gal.
Refractive Index: 1.4755
Viscosity@40C: 30cSt
Viscosity@100C: 5.5cSt

This is not a lot of informaion. The only thing I have learned from their reply is that CD2 is about a 10 or 20 weight viscosity and reddish-brown in color.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Nevada, try that little coffee cup test like what I did.. If it tears up that, I'd step lightly as you have to remember, it's not just metal in a motor but also seals.

I don't know chemistry very well but is a coffee cup much like the seals in an engine?

Remember that used seal test you did with Neutra and Maxlife? That seemed to be a controversial test but it might be interesting with the "coffee cup eater" additives.

If someone has some CD2, put some in a disposable coffee cup and see if it reacts at eating it like the other two did that I tried.

-

Well at least you got a reply! I will email those guys with that info pasted and say look,if you want to sell some of this to me you will have to give me more info because I don't put just anything in my oil and see how it goes from there.Will post if they reply

I have used it before in the past,on the engine I used it on it got the oil dirty pretty darn quick!Put another bottle in it and changed filters and ran it 3k total miles,after that the oil stayed cleaner longer and quit fouling the plugs so guess it did something good

Have also used it in motors after the winter season when changing in spring for 1k right before oil change,you know how those older carbed motors will do a oil in during winter

I could not find the KW product in a quick search but here is the MSDS on the Gunk engine Flush:

Aliphatic Petroleum Distilate 88-92 percent
Napthenic Petroleconal Mixture 8-12 percent
Alkylsulfonate 0-1 Percent

Percent of volotiles by weight greater than 90 percent

Flash point 160 F

I don't have any hard evidence but believe the CD-2 product will not melt a foam cup.Probably a load of detergents in a carrier oil. I will stop by and get some on the way home today and see what it does to a cup,will dump the rest in the 302 Mercury that is the Family left over oil disposer these days
tongue.gif

"...but here is the MSDS on the Gunk engine Flush:
Aliphatic Petroleum Distilate 88-92 percent
Napthenic Petroleconal Mixture 8-12 percent
Alkylsulfonate 0-1 Percent

Percent of volotiles by weight greater than 90 percent"

The first two items are light hydrocarbon solvents. The third item is a detergent normally
found in motor oils as a Detergent/Dispersant additive. Most likely, the solvents clean the carbon and the detergent/dispersant puts them into solution.

Molakule hanks,while on the MSDS thing what is this and how good would it be or not be?

Aromatic Petroleum Distillate 43 percent
2 Butoxyethanol,Glycol Ether EB 10 percent
Kereosene 40 percent

Nevada,

Viscosity@40C: 30cSt
Viscosity@100C: 5.5cSt

Hydrotreated spent lube oil (petroleum ) 70-80 wt
Residual oils,petrleum,solvent dewaxed 20-30 wt
360 F fashpoint

"Little Coffee Cup Seal Test" Guys, I'm sure you know that there are many chemistries that will NOT HARM SEALS. They won't cause swelling after
you have used them to clean your engine. What good is it if the seals start leaking? Perhaps because XXX Product cleaned so fast that
third party abrasives lodged behind those seals? XXX Products don't liquify anything; pieces dislodged go to the filter or the oil pan (if all goes well), the exception is seals. They have an affinity for third party abrasives which means "leaks".
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back