Pre-unleaded fuel motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1968 Pontiac V-8 Motor that was degigned for leaded fuel. Reason being is that it required lead in the fuel to prevent valve seat damage.
Currently I am running a Bardahl "instaed of lead" product in my fuel. I also run only a a couple thousand miles per year. I had also been using "Stabile" or "Store Safe" fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Would the 131 product adequately replace both products for top lubrication and fuel stability?

Rick,
If you are not running the engine hard during the 2K per year you might not need anything for protection. My past experiece is those engines will run many miles w/o a cushion type additive if not towing or high speed runs on the hiway. I have experienced excess spark plug build up in the past with these type additives " lead substitute" for that purpose,partialy do to the old ignition styles not as hot a spark as the new ones,, the 131 is a upper cylinder lubricant as well as a cleaner and in the section with lawn equipment I have seen some posts I believe that said the 131 was a good stabilizer as well

As few miles as you use the car, might I suggest a source to purchase some real Tetraethyl Lead for it? Shelf life of 10 years and will boost the octane quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back