Can I use transmission fluid as chain oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor had extra bottles of ATF Transmission fluid and he asked me if he could use them as chain oil in his chain saw. I said I could get an answer for him. What do you think?

Sure. It doesn't have the sap solvents that should be in a real chain oil (which isn't even available here), but it will work fine.

Yes, I have used ATF in chain saws. It doesn't have the tackifier, but works well and is free..
lol.gif

I've used it for the last 7 years in my Husky Rancher. Cheaper than most of the bar fluids out there. Never had an issue. I used a lot of it in one years time. Cleared my lot to build my house on. Worked just fine.

Mix it with some OTS Bar and Chain to get a bit of tackifier in it or it will sling like craxy and you'll need to use more of it.

All of the bar & chain oil I've used has been very thick. Much more so than ATF. I'd save that stuff and get some real b&c oil.

I just bought an Echo chain saw a couple of days ago. The manual states to use a quality chain oil like Echo's. If a chain oil is unavailable, a 30W engine oil may be used in the summer, or a 10W engine oil in the winter. I bought a quart of Stihl chain oil at the local hardware store for $6.99. It seems to work well.

My father in law uses whatever oil he finds, mostly used engine oil also ATF and gear oil. According to him, any oil will work and the free stuff is best. He cuts huge amounts of firewood every year and gives most of it away to elderly, poor and disabled folks. Keeps him busy and active in his retirement.

Thanks for clearing that up. He'll be glad to hear the answer. I expect he will mix the ATF with bar & chain oil for some tackifier.

I use used ATF, and find it stays on the bar just fine. Maybe just an extra shot of the oil plunger now and then for BITOG "piece of mind"...
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I use used ATF, and find it stays on the bar just fine. Maybe just an extra shot of the oil plunger now and then for BITOG "piece of mind"...
lol.gif

I haven't seen an oil plunger since the late '70's models (Homelite).

Does anyone have them now?

I wonder if the ATF results in more bar, sprocket, and chain wear that would negate any cost savings?

NO! Unless you absolutely have to.

ATF and tranny fluid is too thin.

The oil for chains that need to be tacky not thin.

Trust me. If you don't you are just wasting time with transmission fluid.

I use the thickest "scrap" oil around. Presently, it's some 30 year old 60W Harley Davidson oil somebody passed on to me.

Any extra wear on the bar and chain by not using the proper oil will likely be offset by the money I save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back